OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tube for Beginner  (Read 4927 times)

Offline TTG

Tube for Beginner
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
I've never even touched one, but after looking through this forum they have caught my interest. Any good ones to start with? How often do you normally have to replace the latex material? Are they relatively versatile, like can you yelp, cluck, cut on them? Or are they a "one-trick" pony?

Thanks for any help!

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Tube for Beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
A tube call is extremely versatile , with practice you can make all the calls of the wild turkey from tree yelping and soft calling to loud and proud . You only need to replace the latex when it starts to show signs of wear, cracking , drying out . It  will be easier to tell by the sound if all at once your call doesn't seem as good replace the latex,  I started with a Quaker Boy long ranger i believe it was called. there a plastic or acrylic type body with a cap the resembles a pill bottle cap cut in half, there are several guy's on this forum that make much better custom calls and there very reasonably priced.  once you have mastered the tube call you will love it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:54:58 PM by nyhunter »

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
Primos with the snap on latex would be a good one to start with. If you want a custom, I like Matt McClain’ baffled tube. As previously stated, a tube will make every vocalization of the wild turkey.

Offline Scpossum

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:29:48 PM »
They are versatile and one of the most underused call there is. I have found latex can last you the entire season depending on use, thickness, sunlight exposure, etc.  .003 will last less than say .006.  You can, with practice, yelp, cutt, kee kee, fly down, gobble, purr, and fighting purr.  You can also use it for a goose call, wood duck, and pileated woodpecker (still working on this one). Oh, forgot the chicken call! LOL!  Main thing is to make up your mind you are going to learn it. 

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:41:53 PM »
They are versatile and one of the most underused call there is. I have found latex can last you the entire season depending on use, thickness, sunlight exposure, etc.  .003 will last less than say .006.  You can, with practice, yelp, cutt, kee kee, fly down, gobble, purr, and fighting purr.  You can also use it for a goose call, wood duck, and pileated woodpecker (still working on this one). Oh, forgot the chicken call! LOL!  Main thing is to make up your mind you are going to learn it.
   Ditto. I keep my latex in the bottom of the fridge, out of the light and heat. I'll buy a box about every five years

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
 I'll add one more tidbit. The latex can still be 'hurt' or degraded with long storage in the fridge. Put the box in a freezer storage bag and seal it. Problem solved. I would not keep it in the freezer. If held securely on the call the latex will last you a season.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:04:29 PM by tal »

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
I am following with interest. Thinking about adding one to my arsenal. Due to the under utilization as mentioned many hunters have told me they get excellent responses in pressured areas

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
Matt McClain or Scpossum make good ones.
I'm not a fan of thicker latex either. I like the thin yellow verse green which is thicker.
For me green takes more air pressure to call,but it does last longer than the yellow.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 07:34:58 PM »
Just dont buy a cheap plastic one, a good custom is better, Mike

Offline randywallace

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
Or are they a "one-trick" pony?

It is a musical instrument capable of making any turkey sound commensurate with the skill of the musician. 

Offline woodwzrd

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »
Like what has been stated above tubes are highly under rated. if you don't have one in your vest you are missing out. There is a little bit of a learning curve to them but once you get it figured out you'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:38:38 AM »
 I’ve been trying to learn to use one
I may have got the last one” pappy “Lewis made before he passed. I also bought a primos that has the fixed reed to help with the learning curve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 11:32:50 PM »
have you ever tried something other than latex ? I know some diaphragm calls are made of other materials besides just latex

Offline Scpossum

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 05:20:40 AM »
Examples of alternate  material?

Offline merriamsman

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
I have tried a bunch of tube calls over the years and have never been able to master one. This year I bought a tube from scpossum that’s a baffled tube with a flush mounted beveled lipstop. This is the first tube call that I can run. With very little practice I am making this call sing some sweet hen music. If I were going to recommend a good tube for a beginner or expert, I highly recommend this call.