OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Clean sounding mouth calls?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Clean sounding mouth calls?
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
Most of all of my mouth calls have a raspier sound than that soft clean sound of a slate. I like them like that bc I can work a bird good or cut at him or get loud but I’m looking for a cleaner help. I feel like I’m pretty decent on mouth calls but can’t remember which cut or how many reeds I like over another one. Is there a particular brand or cut or style mouth call I should try.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Clean sounding mouth calls?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »
Try Gooserbat's Public Land Special - Clear yelp, think that would fit your need.

https://www.gooserbatcalls.com/product-page/pls-public-land-special
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Brad_Colvin

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:35:39 AM »
Ghost or bat for me for the clear sound.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
Contact Scott at Osceola game calls and tell him you want a relaxed stretch 2 reed no cut and you will get what your looking for. I use them to close all my turkey hunts with some soft clear yelps when they are in close.

He is on facebook also.  Call: (321) 258-5633

IMG_20190405_144006061 (3)[/url

Offline Gentry

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 06:17:32 AM »
Just run what you have upside down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »
All of the above are good suggestions and any of them might (or might not) work.  One of the best methods I have found for achieving what you are looking for is to modify one of you current calls by changing the reed configuration/cuts or removing reed material. 

I have made some of my best clear-sounding calls by doing nothing more than grasping the very outside edge of the top reed and popping off some of the material,...and continuing to do that with all of the reeds until I get the sound I am looking for.  Pop off a tiny bit of reed material,...try the call,...and pop off some more.  Eventually you should get the sound where you want it.  I have calls that I end up with raggedy-edged reeds that have 1/3 of the original reed material left that sound fantastic and are really easy to run.

For those trying to get a really good clear and/or soft yelp and/or "tree call" sound, this method works great.  It is also a really good use of calls that you have basically relegated to the "never gonna use these" pile.  You will be surprised at how those calls will change when you modify the reeds or pop-off the reed material.  Try it!

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 07:37:03 PM »
Not sure if you mean you want to know what cut works best for you, but this kit was very helpful to me.

https://www.callingallturkeys.com/mouthcallmechanics
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
QB pro triple