OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Budget sight options  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Crotalus

Budget sight options
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
Thinking about upgrading my sights on my 835 but don’t want to break the bank.  I’m sitting here flipping a coin between a Mueller Quickshot and TruGlo GobbleStopper.

Is there anything that makes one of them far superior to the other (except maybe price with the Mueller being a bit more $) or is it really just a coin flip?

Thanks

Offline Brwndg

Re: Budget sight options
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
I know this don’t answer your question, but I Never liked red dots. I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. Principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). I got enough to worry about trying to get a Tom into range w/o worrying my batteries might die in my scope. Not to mention decreased FOV especially on a moving bird.

I have shot open sights for over thirty years and never had an issue. And the fiber optics are very bright even in the woods at first light.
I have the TRUGLO Tru-Bead Turkey Universal Shotgun Sight on my turkey guns

So, unless you have vision issues, give this option some consideration

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 10:16:17 PM »
May I suggest you consider this sight. While i have no 1st hand experience with this exact sight from Sig I do have three Remo 5 red dots and feel they are the BEST FOR THE BUCK red dot available so hopefully this
Sig Remeo MSR will be a good sight as well.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/sig-sor72001-romeo-msr-1x20-dot-red-2moa-blk

It's close to the same price range as the Truglo,

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:51:32 PM »
I have both sights you are asking about, the gobble stopper has a red or green circle dot in it and I have it on a Savage 301 T. It seems to be a good scope if you want a tube style. I have the Mueller quick shot on a Stoeger 3020. You can switch to 4 different reticles all in red. Personally I like the smaller size of the Mueller but I have never had any trouble finding a bird out of the tube style, it's just comes down to which you like.

Offline Crotalus

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 02:42:28 PM »
Thanks all, going to stick with the sights I have for now.  If I upgrade will prob go with the mueller.

Offline etapia

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:43:44 PM »
I know this don’t answer your question, but I Never liked red dots. I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. Principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). I got enough to worry about trying to get a Tom into range w/o worrying my batteries might die in my scope. Not to mention decreased FOV especially on a moving bird.

I have shot open sights for over thirty years and never had an issue. And the fiber optics are very bright even in the woods at first light.
I have the TRUGLO Tru-Bead Turkey Universal Shotgun Sight on my turkey guns

So, unless you have vision issues, give this option some consideration
I'd give this route some consideration as well. I Purchased a gobble dot for my father last year and he was really happy with it. Especially in low light situations.

Offline dbishop

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
Just saw that you were considering the truglo sight.   Wanted to give you a heads up that Midwayusa has them on sale right now for $55 if you're still considering one.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 06:49:51 AM »
save the 20 bucks a month you spend on fast food or on snacks at a gas station and put it in a pickle jar between now and next turkey season and youll have enough for a burris or something similar. I wouldn't trust the trueglo. ive heard others talk of the POI walking around on the target while sighting in on high recoil guns/loads.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Passport

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
I bought a 50.00 Truglow and its surprisingly good! I have my own little torturer test I did and it held zero no problem.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 07:58:21 PM »
Have used truglo sights for years with 3.5" shells. Never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club