OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2020 Virginia Gobbling  (Read 9968 times)

Offline ahfox16

Re: 2020 Virginia Gobbling
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
Was sighting in my turkey gun in the upper Shenandoah Valley yesterday at high noon.   Heard a bird gobble several times.  He was no doubt lonely and looking for love.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »
Tuesday morning was met with good gobbling beginning at 6:53, stayed put until 7:24 and watched the flock fly down.  Heard a couple of other birds across the creek on another property that gobbled good too. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »
haven't gotten out yet but seen one strutting in a field all by him self + 5 LB and 3 jakes on camera  also saw 2LB and 25 hens sure on camera as well so not really sure will be going out tomorrow to listen unless it rains again  :gobble:

Offline Brs2427

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 08:58:10 PM »
Went yesterday morning and heard two gobbling pretty good on the roost. It was my third time going out but first time hearing gobbles. Really sounded good to hear gobbles again

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
Driving through Clarke county I saw 2 strutters with a bunch of hens off route 7 on private land at 10 am this morning.

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 10:09:14 AM »
Heard 3 this morning. One was gobbling good starting at 630. Other 2 only gobbled a couple times

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »
Drove around the roads here in Bluemont area yesterday morning. Stopping at likely spots to owl hoot and hit the long box. Got six separate birds reply and saw three w binos in far off fields strutting. I stopped at the top of a hill to scan down into a large cut cornfield and just happened to look over to opposite side of the road in the farmer’s front yard.
40 yds away was a big Tom. He was getting a little nervous w my truck stopped there an walking off. Remembered I had my camera and got this pic of him thought it was pretty neat, except I rushed it and he isn’t in focus

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »
It is neat. Did you get permission to hunt?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 07:52:21 PM »
No.  Need to research who owns it and now w the Corona virus folks don’t like you walking up to their door unannounced
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 10:31:25 AM »
Made it out this am...Heard one gobble twice...Fog was thick...Louisa VA.  Saw one on way out of hunt club with a few Jakes and several hens...Got him excited with a call as they were scooting away from road and he gobbled.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 01:20:28 PM »
I have seen more Turkeys this year then ever before. Driving up the mountain saw a flock with two gobblers. Up in the mountains saw a really nice gobbler run across the road. After cutting wood drove up road to find a turn around and counted 10 birds at least three were gobblers.  Going home and passesd a farm with a single gobbler out in the field. Out a couple of mornings and heard several birds. Looks like everything is ready to go.

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
No.  Need to research who owns it and now w the Corona virus folks don’t like you walking up to their door unannounced

I tried to get permission to hunt outside of Berryville one time.  Knocked on the door and the fellow opened it.  I asked about hunting turkey's and he said no and to get off his property.  He then turned it dog loose on me (true story).  I drove away as the dog was trying to tear my door off.  PS.  This was right off route 7.  With CV, he probably would have just shot me on the front porch and let me lay there. :)

Offline RaspyD

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Hunt with Perfection!
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:40 PM »

I tried to get permission to hunt outside of Berryville one time.  Knocked on the door and the fellow opened it.  I asked about hunting turkey's and he said no and to get off his property.  He then turned it dog loose on me (true story).  I drove away as the dog was trying to tear my door off.  PS.  This was right off route 7.  With CV, he probably would have just shot me on the front porch and let me lay there. :)
I asked a lady in Boyce a couple of weeks ago.  She said "NO" before I could even finish asking the question!
Perfection Turkey Calls

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »

I asked a lady in Boyce a couple of weeks ago.  She said "NO" before I could even finish asking the question!

Might be time to change strategies. Maybe going through a friend of a friend might be better than storming the front door.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »
Might be time to change strategies. Maybe going through a friend of a friend might be better than storming the front door.

Definitely the best way is to have a personal connection, friend, or neighbor of the landowner, but rarely possible. With this part of Virginia getting so populated, these landowners are getting hammered w folks asking permission I bet.

Can’t say I blame them for being short tempered and curt.

But I digress and don’t want to change the theme of this thread