OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Season openers  (Read 1395 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Season openers
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
If you're like me, I anticipate the opening date of the spring season like a kid at Christmas. What date does the turkey season open in your home state? 

Historically, Mississippi spring turkey season opens on March 15th. This year that date happens to fall on a Sunday so the Department decided to open the season on Saturday, March 14th.  :icon_thumright:  Our season here always closes on May 1st. Another point is that MS legal hunting time is from 1/2 hour before sunrise through to 1/2 hour past sunset.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Season openers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 02:49:41 PM »
Mine should be 14th in MS, but the same little boy whose birth made me oversleep my 2nd day in the woods last year is having his first birthday party on that day so guess where grandpa will be? I’m not too worried as I’ve got the 5 days to chase them anyway so my official opener will probably be the 15th of March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:07:46 PM »
I have a Merriam's tag on the San Carlos Reservation that starts April 11th but with Easter I might be a few days late. My next hunt is for Gould's which is the second season that starts on May 8th. Throw in a couple youth hunts in between that open up on the 17th of April and I'm in the turkey woods for over a month all in my home state of AZ!

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
May 1st is our opener. Also known as , “ Wife Day “ here

Offline TKE921

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
Va season begins on 4.11.20 and WV season begins on 4.20.20.  I will again be taking my friend's little boy for VA youth day on 4.4 and possibly 4.5

Offline BBR12

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 01:21:12 PM »
I will be in the woods with my youngest on Monday 3/9 to try and get his first MS youth season. After that I am off on the 14th. I am working 4 on/1 off 12 hr shifts for most of turkey season if not all of it in MS so my time will be severely restricted this year. Once LA opens on 4/4 I plan to hunt down there on my off days during the week until I can kill one or season ends.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
PA home is something like May 2 this year. Will go what I can to travel to other states but haven’t finalized anything yet.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
I'll be starting my turkey hunting adventures starting down in Nebraska starting April 18th. Then it will be off to South Dakota, then my home state of Minnesota and then over to Wisconsin. I'm also trying my darndest to figure out a way to get to Wyoming, but that might be a long shot as of right now.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:54:45 PM »
in a few hours, cant wait

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 12:39:08 PM »
All quiet where we went this morning. Went back with my buddy and his two kids trying to get his daughter a bird.  Ended up making a loop to some other land and found a couple Toms, 6 jakes and hen.  Long story short Ended up getting all the toms And jakes less than 10’ away from me and his daughter and she was so overwhelmed she couldn’t find the red dot.  It’s was an amazing and heartbreaking hunt.  We were so close.  Maybe next time.  I was proud of her that she didn’t just shoot amongst them. 

Good luck to everyone else.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 05:30:12 PM »
Great story, good lesson