OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shotgun Scopes Hard to find....  (Read 8012 times)

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Shotgun Scopes Hard to find....
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 05:53:01 AM »
I second the nikon shotgun scope, I have the slughunter and the new P3 shotgun scope (essentially the slughunter under a different name). One is mounted on a Benelli SBE 2 12 gauge and a Savage 212. Shooting 3" sabots and have had zero issues. I use a red dot on my turkey guns but if needed I would not hesitate to throw one on a turkey gun if my eyes needed me to.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:39 AM »
Agreed, even though it was made for slugs with the extra reticle below the cross hair, I love it for Turkey. The crosshair is real good, gets finer in the middle, on 3.5 power, the field of view is great. At 35 yards, the turkey target is crystal clear. It’s a well made scope. I used a laser bore sighted prior to sighting in. The pattern was dead on, I made no adjustments. It was perfect. Thanks for your input... be well
“Solo hunter”

Offline dbishop

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »
I have an older Bushnell circle plex scope on one of my rigs and it seems to work well.  That being said, I'm no longer a fan of Bushnell's customer service...so that alone will keep me from buying any new products from them.    For the money...I'd say a Konus scope should serve the average turkey hunter well.   The few that I've used seemed pretty clear and durable...especially for the money.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 12:54:07 AM »
Have yall noticed that it is becoming hard to find shotgun turkey scopes?

I bought a Simmons 4x32 ProDiamond and love it. Went to get another this year and can't find them.

Seems most brands have discontinued their shotgun scope offering.

Wonder why? Red dot popularity I guess.

I am reasonably sure that is due to a combination of red dots and so many states legalizing straight walled center fire rifle and handgun cartridges for deer hunting that it's no longer advisable to market a scope labeled specifically as for slug guns.

But any quality low powered scope should work well. But make sure it and its mounting system can handle recoil because the kick from my 338 WM and 300 WSM and 12 gauge slug guns still aren't in the same league as the kick from a 2oz 3-1/2 inch magnum turkey load.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »
Amen, I just went through the recoil problem, solved with Burris Extreme Tactical Scope rings. These are the answer. Each ring has (6) scope screws on each ring, and the through bolt that holds the ring to the rail type base is 3/8 inch.  You actually can put a 1/2 inch socket on these bolts. I have a Bushnell BDC reticle slug gun scope on my Super Back Eagle. I shoot 3.5 Inch Federal Heavyweight turkey loads, 1300 feet per second. They kick, these rings handle the most severe recoil in our modern Turkey loads.
“Solo hunter”

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 08:38:53 AM »
I have been waiting patiently for a Leupold to cross my path.  Recently found it.  It's a Leupold VX I Shotgun Scope 1x4 20mm with their HEAVY Duplex reticle.  Made in 2011 and looks brand new. Came with a nice set of Burris Signature Weaver style steel rings!

Look around a bit and you may find exactly what you want.  Patience is a virtue!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »
I have been waiting patiently for a Leupold to cross my path.  Recently found it.  It's a Leupold VX I Shotgun Scope 1x4 20mm with their HEAVY Duplex reticle.  Made in 2011 and looks brand new. Came with a nice set of Burris Signature Weaver style steel rings!

Look around a bit and you may find exactly what you want.  Patience is a virtue!
X2 .. keep looking and you will fine what your looking for...

Offline Gmed

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:50 PM »
Used em for several years. Scope on a turkey gun gave me the only “scope eyebrow” I ever had. All my turkey guns have red dots now...

Offline TX_Gobbler

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
A buddy of mine just bought the VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 with their Pig Plex reticle.

Looking forward to shooting it while helping him pattern it this weekend.  The Leupold Pig Plex reticle is as close to the Nikon Turkey reticle I’ve seen in awhile. 

Offline willy9889

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
 Mounted a Vortex CrossfireII on my 20ga.
1-4 x 24mm very bright little optic for the money.

Willy

Offline Critter

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »
I’ve got my eye on this one as well.  Closing in on 50 and the eyes aren’t as sharp as they once were.
Friends & Family Outdoors
Spread the Addiction!

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 07:45:42 PM »
Mounted a Vortex CrossfireII on my 20ga.
1-4 x 24mm very bright little optic for the money.

Willy

Heard great things about these scopes. Good luck
“Solo hunter”

Offline Goat boy

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 03:26:28 AM »
Looking for a used 1-4 power scope to put on my turkey getter. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »
Looking for a used 1-4 power scope to put on my turkey getter. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

eBay is loaded with great scopes. Search through and you should find something that fits the bill. Best of luck....
“Solo hunter”

Offline dbishop

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »
I was at my local Rural King store this morning and came across a Leupold 1-4 power scope with a circle plex reticle...may have even been a firedot...I'm not sure.  I would think that would make for an excellent turkey scope/reticle combination.