OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg super bantam turkey model 20ga choke help  (Read 1875 times)

rdjustham

Mossberg super bantam turkey model 20ga choke help
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:28:06 PM »
Just ordered one for my son, and have some Fed 3" #9 tss waiting for it.  Ive seen the patern pics of the IC .555 choke and am concerned about how tight it is at 20 yards for a 10 year old.  Has anyone patterned the factory choke that comes in the gun at 20 and 40 with TSS?  Found online the factory turkey choke is .584, any siggestions on a good choke size for an even 20 to 40 yard even and forgiving hunting pattern with Fed Tss 9s?

Offline Turkeyfever

Re: Mossberg super bantam turkey model 20ga choke help
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »
That choke the comes with it may just be the ticket if you want a more forgiving pattern, I would certainly give it a try! If I was going to get another it would be the Carlson.575 nonported turkey tube it's around 30 dollars. The thing is like magic out of every 20 gauge I have. I like that choke for my son because it does give a better hunting pattern. I don't want mine too tight!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:42:30 PM »
I shot a couple TSS 1 5/8oz handloads thru the Mossberg Xfull

at 40yds it was a fairly tight even pattern, the 15" was pretty even, the 20" was sparse.
I didn't shoot it at 20yds

rdjustham

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:07:24 PM »
That choke the comes with it may just be the ticket if you want a more forgiving pattern, I would certainly give it a try! If I was going to get another it would be the Carlson.575 nonported turkey tube it's around 30 dollars. The thing is like magic out of every 20 gauge I have. I like that choke for my son because it does give a better hunting pattern. I don't want mine too tight!

You like the .575 for young shooters or the factory xtra full?

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »
I would try that factory choke, my son killed his first at age 7 with a modified choke and the Federal HVW shell  with the old flite control wad. That shell worked great with a more open choke. I use the .575 and at this point  and my son does also it gives a good even pattern. This is his 5th year turkey hunting and he also runs a red dot which I think helps. But to answer your question I would definitely try that factory full before I bought anything. Good luck!

rdjustham

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:47:55 PM »
I would try that factory choke, my son killed his first at age 7 with a modified choke and the Federal HVW shell  with the old flite control wad. That shell worked great with a more open choke. I use the .575 and at this point  and my son does also it gives a good even pattern. This is his 5th year turkey hunting and he also runs a red dot which I think helps. But to answer your question I would definitely try that factory full before I bought anything. Good luck!

I plan on it, but would like to have an idea of what to look for if it doesnt pan out.  Ive read where TSS likes a more open choke but from what ive seen theres alot of people using IC 555 and im just worried the 555 would be too tight for him at 20 yards shooting beads.

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »
This is just my opinion but I will not shoot a .555 for myself for the reason you just mentioned, too tight! There is nothing wrong with it but for me I want a more open hunting pattern so I run the .575. I would try that Carlson that I mentioned if you are not satisfied with the factory full. That Carlson choke will not break the bank and shoots great! One of the guns we have and his first was the Mossberg Maverick 88 youth model with a 22 inch barrel. The gun will shoot that Carlson choke tube great!

rdjustham

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:20:42 PM »
Thanks!!  Ive got a carlsons longbeard in .568 in my Sa-20 and it shoots well.  Ill give it a look if the Xfull it comes with wont get it done!

Offline WylieCoyote

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:18:35 AM »
Last year I ran a .560 jebs Head Hunter in a Stevens 320 youth ($158 gun). Hand loaded #9 TSS @ 40 yards taped, it put 374 pellets in a 10" circle. Federal HVW @20 yards was nothing short of a grapefruit sized pattern. I'd definitely not recommend a pattern that tight for a kid lol

Offline PEHunter

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
I have the same gun for my 10 yr old.  I use the factory choke with 2-3/4 high brass #6, and it gives a good forgiving pattern for him to about 28 yrd.  Anything much over 25 yrds is really to far for his shooting ability.  I would rather him not take a shot because it being to far than shooting and missing.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »
I shoot an sa-20 with the factory tube, very nice up close patterns and holds up very well at 40 plus, shooting 1 5/8 hand load #9s

Bought a .555 Indian creek to try, but if it's too tight at 20 I will stick with the factory tube, I have killed a dozen or so birds with it but the furthest was 35 yards.

It is nice to have some wiggle room for those birds that bust you up close and are rubber necking it out of there!

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »
The wife is using Hevi-13 choke in her SA-20 Bantam using Longbeard 6's. She is a pretty inexperienced shooter so, I wanted to open her pattern up some for her. The Hevi-13 tube is .573 and ported(can also get non-ported). It throws a more even pattern than the Carlson .575 non-ported tube. Nice pattern at 15 yards and still a solid hunting pattern at 35 yards. It would probably kill at 40, but it's starting to get sparse. I know you are using TSS, just giving you another option for a choke. They are about $25-$30 on the Hevi-13 website.

https://shop.hevishot.com/choke-tubes.html

rdjustham

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 03:09:56 PM »
The wife is using Hevi-13 choke in her SA-20 Bantam using Longbeard 6's. She is a pretty inexperienced shooter so, I wanted to open her pattern up some for her. The Hevi-13 tube is .573 and ported(can also get non-ported). It throws a more even pattern than the Carlson .575 non-ported tube. Nice pattern at 15 yards and still a solid hunting pattern at 35 yards. It would probably kill at 40, but it's starting to get sparse. I know you are using TSS, just giving you another option for a choke. They are about $25-$30 on the Hevi-13 website.

https://shop.hevishot.com/choke-tubes.html

Thanks.  Depending on how the factory shoots, ill take a look at them.  I have a Carlson .568 in my Sa-20 with Federal tss #7 its almost too tight up close.

rdjustham

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »
Anyone have a choke that shoots to POA with beads?