turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New trick for pots

Started by Weathered-Branch, February 24, 2020, 09:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weathered-Branch

So we all know getting a decent bead with e600 is a royal pain in the arse and the best way so far has been a medicine syringe. Anyway I stopped by tractor supply today and remembered they sold medicines for livestock including syringes and found needle tips as well. I got a pack of the largest size available, 16ga, and it's working beautifully!

Still not as beautifully as a caulk gun around a window but I can keep a thin even bead just on the rim of the wood, and use the very pointy end to clean up any overspill
Don't underestimate how smart I can be, but don't underestimate how dumb I can be either...

Sir-diealot

I give my dog her shots every year and have kept the syringes from those. I am going to do one in glass or crystal this year and want to put in a feather from my first turkey in it. Hopefully I can do that before the season starts.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Weathered-Branch

Just make sure it's a big enough needle, e600 is pretty thick stuff. The needles at tractor supply are only about 3 dollars for a pack of 5
Don't underestimate how smart I can be, but don't underestimate how dumb I can be either...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Weathered-Branch on February 25, 2020, 07:03:44 PM
Just make sure it's a big enough needle, e600 is pretty thick stuff. The needles at tractor supply are only about 3 dollars for a pack of 5
I will ask before I use it, it did not come in a box or anything, they just hand them to you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Weathered-Branch

Usually the base of the needle is made of plastic, and the color is a code for what size the needle is. Not sure what they are anymore but google should give it to you. Give it a try if you have them anyway, it just might be really hard to squeeze through a smaller needle. That's why I bought 16ga needle, the biggest I could get. I think most vets use 22-24 for dogs, fine for watery stuff, maybe too small for thicker stuff

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Weathered-Branch on February 25, 2020, 10:58:06 PM
Usually the base of the needle is made of plastic, and the color is a code for what size the needle is. Not sure what they are anymore but google should give it to you. Give it a try if you have them anyway, it just might be really hard to squeeze through a smaller needle. That's why I bought 16ga needle, the biggest I could get. I think most vets use 22-24 for dogs, fine for watery stuff, maybe too small for thicker stuff
Not quite sure where I should be looking, here is the one I can find, looks like the other one got moved.

John Koenig:

Cool Ridge Clucker

Can you wash out the syringe sufficiently after use for future reuse, or are they one time things?  Would a cheap marinade injector work?

Weathered-Branch

Marinade injector would probably work nicely. So far I've been using the same syringe and needle since Monday without cleaning or anything, just putting the plastic cap on over the needle and wiping off any dried glue from the outside

LabsRUsII

I buy 100 per box $16

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

BigSlam51

The glue does not keep fresh in a syringe, even with a cap on it. You'll notice a difference in consistency even after 5-6 hours. I've been using a syringe to glue my pots for almost 2 years now and I've never had glue stay fresh in a capped syringe for days at a time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

LabsRUsII

True, i use 2 syringes per pot or empty one out completely and then refill

Custom Call Maker
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

LabsRUsII

Small ones

Custom Call Maker
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Weathered-Branch

Actually I was about to say, I went to use the same syringe last night that I filled Monday and it had gone bad. I managed to use a wire to clean the needle, squeeze most out of the syringe and use a piece of brass tube to glue what had set up against the plunger out. So it kept for about two days and then was easy enough to clean out to reuse the syringe today

Old Gobbler

You ever try the syringes from a cajun injector deep fryer marinade ?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon