OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Macassar ebony striker  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Tom Dooley

Re: Macassar ebony striker
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
I love my Stuckey mac ebony. Great on glass, crystal and my green slate. Probably my favorite all around striker. I do scotch brite it more often than my other strikers and like my diamondwoods it does have a sweet spot.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2020, 01:49:09 PM »
I ordered a halloran 1 piece mac ebony last week but a good tulipwood is next in line!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
I ordered a halloran 1 piece mac ebony last week but a good tulipwood is next in line!

Just got a one piece tulip from Jeff Harrison ( JLH on OG ). Plays REALLY nice on my Crystal Mistress and aluminum call from Al Holbert ( Enticer ).

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2020, 12:53:09 AM »
I'm getting one!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2020, 08:00:43 AM »
I have stayed out of this thread...i didnt want to "sell" anyone.

I will say this about macassar.

I can buy a board, (most are small) after you cut it into blanks, maybe 3 to 5....out of those 5 blanks, more often than not , ill get a striker that is "dead" sounding.

That "dead" striker is a $20.+ piece of wood that is worthless as a striker....

Macassar does this more than any other wood i have.

Now, not all the boards i buy are like this, and i canntell immediately if its a stinker!  just saying there can possibly be some "duds" out there from other guys.

If you have good macassar, that is super dry, it make a very good striker! It should grip well, and play on most surfaces.
I will guarantee anything i sell, if it doesnt play for you, let me know!

Also....there's a few other woods in that hardness and density range that will perform the same.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
I have stayed out of this thread...i didnt want to "sell" anyone.

I will say this about macassar.

I can buy a board, (most are small) after you cut it into blanks, maybe 3 to 5....out of those 5 blanks, more often than not , ill get a striker that is "dead" sounding.

That "dead" striker is a $20.+ piece of wood that is worthless as a striker....

Macassar does this more than any other wood i have.

Now, not all the boards i buy are like this, and i canntell immediately if its a stinker!  just saying there can possibly be some "duds" out there from other guys.

If you have good macassar, that is super dry, it make a very good striker! It should grip well, and play on most surfaces.
I will guarantee anything i sell, if it doesnt play for you, let me know!

Also....there's a few other woods in that hardness and density range that will perform the same.

Thanks for the insight Jeff. It’s pertinent and appreciated from my perspective.the more I can learn about the various woods and strikers the better!

Offline Buckrub

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
  I got a FROGWOOD from Jeff and it plays great on every surface I have and I pretty much have them all !!!! 

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »
Well said Jeff. I still love macassar.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
Had 2 mac ebony pegs from a call supply place that did exactly what Jeff described as being dead. They sounded like a red cedar striker when all was said and done.

I used my Halloran 2 pc striker as my "jig".  I weighed both the tops and the pegs to 24 grams total, balanced them out by length.....everything. Glued them up.....nada! Gorgeous grain as well. All for nothing. Even tried thinning down 1 of the pegs near the tip to help them sing a tad. Still nothing.
Phil 4:13

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 05:55:39 PM »
Well all I can say is if you get your hands on a good one , it will go straight in your vest.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2020, 02:37:53 AM »
Thank you Jeff the thing is you can definitely sell me a striker!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
Don’t forget John Sinclair. I just got a Snakewood striker from him. Very well detailed, and sounds fantastic. Everything John makes sounds great.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
Don’t forget John Sinclair. I just got a Snakewood striker from him. Very well detailed, and sounds fantastic. Everything John makes sounds great.....

Is there anything Snakewood won`t play on?

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »
Have to agree with that!!

Offline KeyDett

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2020, 08:08:26 PM »
I like a good Macassar striker, it provides a different sound and is just another arrow in the quiver. I have a few different ones by different call makers.  I will say that this year that I will be carrying Jeff Harrison’s.  After buying a few strikers from him last year, I had him make me several different ones for me for this season.  The way this works for me now is I call Jeff and just ask what else I should  get, he tells some wood I have never heard of, I get it and it sounds awesome. Great guy to work with that I can not speak highly enough of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk