OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Macassar ebony striker  (Read 6973 times)

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
Re: Macassar ebony striker
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »
The mac ebony striker I have had the most consistent sound out of is an old Halloran 2 pc mac ebony. Runs on glass and crystal calls the best imo. Was never a big snakewood fan. It does look very nice but I don't feel I have the control with it like I do mac ebony.
Phil 4:13

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
Just traded for a Fowler Mac Ebony with Persimmon top, very excited to try it!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
Ebony striker is pretty good , .. Ebony in my opinion give little squeal on most surfaces doesn't hold good grip , were the snakewood doesn't...

I’ve gotten that squeak or squeal with my Mac ebony as well. I have found it to be a bit more temperamental then most of my other woods(strikers). With a lot of practice I’ve found the window (proper striker angle and pressure) to be quite narrow in avoiding that sound. Even then it plays quite high with minimal rasp.. I don’t know if I like the sound, but I will play it this spring and let the turkeys decide. But my experience is limited with only one Mac ebony and two glass calls and one crystal. I don’t have a snake.

Offline Ol Yelper

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 07:24:36 PM »
I agree with Sir Diealot, Tulipwood all the way for me, I think it sounds better and is more forgiving. Bill Lyman or Fred Cox. I bet a Stuckey would sound great as well.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »
I agree with Sir Diealot, Tulipwood all the way for me, I think it sounds better and is more forgiving. Bill Lyman or Fred Cox. I bet a Stuckey would sound great as well.
Wow, somebody agrees with me on something, I'm in shock! lol
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
I got a few strikers off here and one is a tulipwood and it that one is very soft on my mm2, you really have to lay into it to get the rasp out of it
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »
I got a few strikers off here and one is a tulipwood and it that one is very soft on my mm2, you really have to lay into it to get the rasp out of it
That's more of what I expect! lol Who made it, have never heard anybody refer to tulipwood as soft before. Edit: Scratch that, don't answer that question.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:09:55 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 08:42:18 PM »
Tulipwood is good on copper , but other than that it's probably the striker i use the least...better strikers for other surfaces than Tulipwood ...

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 09:02:01 PM »
Love me some tulipwood

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 04:39:00 AM »
I'm not sure who made it, it came In a box with several others,  but it was a very soft calling striker.  That's what I meant by soft.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
Wow. I have at least 8 macassar strikers and all of them grip great and mine only squeal when I squeeze the striker too hard. Mine run great and sound the best to me on all my glass and crystal. Goes to show different flavors for diffrent folks.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 10:12:54 PM »
Tulipwood is good on copper , but other than that it's probably the striker i use the least...better strikers for other surfaces than Tulipwood ...

I am the exact opposite, it is the one I like on most of my calls. We all have different ears and different sounds we like.

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »

I am the exact opposite, it is the one I like on most of my calls. We all have different ears and different sounds we like.
   You know you are so right ...  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »

I definitely think two strikers made from the same wood can be different. While I thnk his snakewood may be the best striker I own, and he`s an all time great striker craftsman, I for some reason have a problem consistently running my Fowler two piece walnut/tulipwood on my aluminum and crystal calls. My JLH one piece tulipwood, on the other hand, is great on both.

Offline jrinny

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2020, 12:28:17 PM »
I have a Halloran one piece Mac ebony striker that is great on a Halloran ceramic.  It really stand out on that call