OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What is your state doing?  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: What is your state doing?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2020, 03:25:05 PM »
I’ve got a buddy who owns several thousand acres in KS. I’ve seen pics of all of the hogs shot from helicopters. It’s an open area. They announced they would be doing that on a refuge here in SEMO. They killed 1 hog. I’m not sure that’s an efficient not economical method to control or eradicate.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »
 ::)
Our state Mo.is clear cutting all the forest and fining us 5000 if we shoot a pig thats how much m.d.c. is worried about our turkey population which just keeps getting smaller every year

Can someone explain why you don't have an open season on an invasive species? When every other state can't get rid of them allowing anything short of land mines why would you deter anyone from shooting a hog.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »
it seems like habitat and predators are top on most everyone's list.

It appears like much of public land people feel the habitat is poorly managed, the areas of public with great habitat are much easier these days to find out about them which results in over pressured hunting.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
::)
Our state Mo.is clear cutting all the forest and fining us 5000 if we shoot a pig thats how much m.d.c. is worried about our turkey population which just keeps getting smaller every year

Can someone explain why you don't have an open season on an invasive species? When every other state can't get rid of them allowing anything short of land mines why would you deter anyone from shooting a hog.
The theory behind it is that it spreads the sounders out and makes it harder for trapping.  Of course, there is absolutely no data to back that up. 

Arkansas has had that rule on public land for a few years now.  They also just performed a couple of Aerial hunts that were paid for by the USDA.  They killed a bunch, but barely scratched the surface.
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline hotspur

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
Some buddies and I feel like there are more raccoons on the landscape we hunt because of all the deer feeders full of corn. (and I have seen several feeders out during turkey season also)  and we all know about the hogs, so we have been trapping hogs. And predator hunting,and trapping coons

Offline James gang

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2020, 10:13:17 PM »
Lol no dang it i haven't got to shoot one yet.I don't want hogs i hope they kill them all ( i dont think mdc stands a chance)i own two properties that had hogs one borders mark twain as i mentioned earlier after mdc said they caught the majority of the pigs in the area then hunters with dogs kill a pile of them in 1.5 days i know which one i will call if i have any more problems.

The hunters also gave the pigs to people to eat ( had some couple nights ago surprising how good it was) instead of leaving dozens of them piled on the river bank
so they can be washed in the river soon as it comes back up( check out missouri feral hogs on facebook) last year they told us to stay out of the river because of some bacteria in the water. Thats what mdc does why im tempted to turn them in to the govt. oh wait thats them my bad.
 As far as hogs scattering the same hunters turn there dogs loose in same place every time why are there still pigs there? They chased some pigs for several miles killing one and wounding one two days later they killed the wounded pig right where it all started.They say no matter what the hogs keep returning to the same spot.

I don't know how much you know about the terrain in southern mo but were not in kansas anymore comparing apples to oranges

Offline James gang

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2020, 10:17:38 PM »
The poaching might not be so bad this year they are putting more law in the woods afraid someone might take a crack at a pig
Let me guess, you got caught shooting a pig? Talk to anyone on here from a southern state and they will assure you that you don't want hogs around. If the state allows recreational hunting of them it just spreads them out and makes them harder to control. Or people get the great idea that they should stock hogs for an additional hunting opportunity. They can't leave any grey areas in the regulations regarding this or people will abuse it and then you're overrun with hogs. Let the aerial gunners and trappers take care of em. It seems to be working very well in KS when other states have lost the battle because they didn't get on it soon enough.
Lol no dang it i haven't got to shoot one yet.I don't want hogs i hope they kill them all ( i dont think mdc stands a chance)i own two properties that had hogs one borders mark twain as i mentioned earlier after mdc said they caught the majority of the pigs in the area then hunters with dogs kill a pile of them in 1.5 days i know which one i will call if i have any more problems.

The hunters also gave the pigs to people to eat ( had some couple nights ago surprising how good it was) instead of leaving dozens of them piled on the river bank
so they can be washed in the river soon as it comes back up( check out missouri feral hogs on facebook) last year they told us to stay out of the river because of some bacteria in the water. Thats what mdc does why im tempted to turn them in to the govt. oh wait thats them my bad.
 As far as hogs scattering the same hunters turn there dogs loose in same place every time why are there still pigs there? They chased some pigs for several miles killing one and wounding one two days later they killed the wounded pig right where it all started.They say no matter what the hogs keep returning to the same spot.

I don't know how much you know about the terrain in southern mo but were not in kansas anymore comparing apples to oranges

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »
In VA our DGIF times our opener after hens start being bred, so far so good with what they’ve been doing.  A recommendation to increase our daily bag limit from one bird a day to two was shot down a couple of years ago, this was shortly after you were beginning to hear about turkey populations declining.  I’m glad our Board listened and didn’t make that change.  I think we’re just seeing the carrying capacity being reached in some parts of the US and add into that the decline in fur trapping, you have more nest robbers roaming the woods.  We don't have a hog problem in VA yet so I can't speak to the effect they have. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:47:41 AM by trkehunr93 »

Offline zeke632

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2020, 01:36:53 AM »
Several years ago Oklahoma shortened and pushed the season back for the SE part of the state. Also cut the limit prior to changing the season. It hasn’t helped.  Obviously The wildlife Dept is aware of the problem, hence the changes, but nothing is being done to reverse the trend now. I’ve been told that statewide the population is steady, but SE Ok holds Eastern  turkeys...and if the population in SE Ok is steady, the way it is right now, it’s in serious trouble.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
In VA our DGIF times our opener after hens start being bred, so far so good with what they’ve been doing.  A recommendation to increase our daily bag limit from one bird a day to two was shot down a couple of years ago, this was shortly after you were beginning to hear about turkey populations declining.  I’m glad our Board listened and didn’t make that change.  I think we’re just seeing the carrying capacity being reached in some parts of the US and add into that the decline in fur trapping, you have more nest robbers roaming the woods.  We don't have a hog problem in VA yet so I can't speak to the effect they have.  You're exactly right.  I hunt a very small piece of private and 10 years ago you'd hear one gobbling Turkey on the roost,  then wouldn't gobble till fly up that evening. I bought some traps and started in on the coyotes, coons, skunks, and possums, and literally within 2 seasons it was a different place.  No Jake's,  and trapping.  We got 4 with a 10"+ beard last season. Its remarkable. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2020, 07:14:06 PM »
West Virginia hasn't changed.  They don't open the season until most hens are on the nest.  It seems late but it keeps the population steady.  Been told, the state doesn't care if we kill turkeys, their job is to make sure we have turkeys to hunt.

Strike this post.  West Virginia is adding a 5th week.  Not at the beginning of the season but the end.  Still could hurt future population.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline longspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
A year or two back I read an article about the DNR in Ga. placing sound recorders all over a WMA to see if it was true that gobblers really crank up just before breeding season, then slow down during breeding and crank it back up when most hens start setting. They concluded that they do not. How can they afford all that but can’t plant food plots. How did that help the turkeys?

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »
A year or two back I read an article about the DNR in Ga. placing sound recorders all over a WMA to see if it was true that gobblers really crank up just before breeding season, then slow down during breeding and crank it back up when most hens start setting. They concluded that they do not. How can they afford all that but can’t plant food plots. How did that help the turkeys?

They don't . It didn't.