turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your state doing?

Started by Spurs, February 22, 2020, 09:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

Little bit of a rant here, but I'm curious what experience other states are having with their state's declining turkey numbers? 

I'm kinda on the fence with dwindling turkey populations.  I think we are just in the middle of an extended dip that should rebound, but I honestly don't think the Arkansas Game & Fish (AGFC) is doing anything to speed this process up. 

The AGFC just started a Turkey Stamp Program that is optional.  They gave a general idea of how the money will be used:  " If we sell out, the stamp should generate between $140,000 and $150,000 after expenses to put toward added turkey habitat work in Arkansas," said Jeremy Wood, Turkey Program Coordinator for the AGFC. "We hope to couple this money with [National Wild Turkey Federation] Superfund grants to really help improve turkey habitat on public land." 

When I requested a break down of how the funds generated will be spent beyond that EXTREMELY general statement, I heard nothing but crickets.

I will be sending an email to each commissioner with the AGFC with the same request, but if the past has told me anything about that (I've sent 5 emails over the years with minimal responses and very general responses). 

Is anyone else having issues?
This year is going to suck!!!

Gooserbat

They ignore the real problems that they know they can't fix and try to fix the secondary issues.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

James gang

Our state Mo.is clear cutting all the forest and fining us 5000 if we shoot a pig thats how much m.d.c. is worried about our turkey population which just keeps getting smaller every year

Gamblinman

Here in NE Texas, NWTF is releasing eastern birds to rebuild our population. They are doingg super stockings...80 birds per stocking. They have released several groups lately.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Kylongspur88

In KY they did an online survey we never heard the results of and if you ask anyone at FW about the decline in birds they'll either feed you some standard line about a bad hatch in that area or look at you like you have a third eye and haven't heard of this thing called a turkey before. If this were deer or elk they'd be in crisis mode. Birds and small game just don't matter much because they aren't revenue generators like the animals sporting antlers.

Rzrbac

Southeast Missouri once had a healthy turkey population. Now they are very thin and continue to dwindle. As previously stated timber harvest and hogs are having a negative impact. Another issue in the particular areas I hunt are poaching. I've talked to many game wardens on numerous occasions and they tell me they can only do so much.

If MDC is like other areas of our state government then we are in trouble. I'm familiar with other areas of state government and seen a bunch of corruption. I'm not sure what the numbers are like north as I try to avoid that part of the state. If the numbers are good around Cole county I doubt anything will be done to help the rest of the state.

3bailey3

Gamblinman were are they getting those eastern birds, most of the eastern states I know of are struggling to hold on to there on population?

Brad_Colvin

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 22, 2020, 10:47:16 PM
Gamblinman were are they getting those eastern birds, most of the eastern states I know of are struggling to hold on to there on population?
I know that they got some from North Carolina a year or 2 ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 22, 2020, 10:45:17 PM
In KY they did an online survey we never heard the results of and if you ask anyone at FW about the decline in birds they'll either feed you some standard line about a bad hatch in that area or look at you like you have a third eye and haven't heard of this thing called a turkey before. If this were deer or elk they'd be in crisis mode. Birds and small game just don't matter much because they aren't revenue generators like the animals sporting antlers.

Forgot about the elk, MDC seems very concerned about them. A little herd that nobody can hunt. If they do have a season I can only imagine how the tag distribution will go.

If I want to see or hunt an elk I'll go to Idaho or Wyoming.

3bailey3

I know Ms. shipped some off back in the day, we need them back!

James gang

Oh yeah its all about the elk we are going to have a season $10 a chance for a tag 50 tags total are they serious

James gang

The poaching might not be so bad this year they are putting more law in the woods afraid someone might take a crack at a pig

ColbyModisette

Louisiana seems to just be setting back and watching our population decline.  A few years ago they moved our season opener back a week to the first Saturday in April, not sure how that was supposed to help anything.  They did do some turkey nesting habit improvement work a few years ago in a place on a local WMA (or at least they put signs up by the parking area).  But it was somewhere that a turkey hasn't set foot in ten years.  Seems to me some local input from some guys that really know the turkeys would be a lot more beneficial, instead to just wasting time and money.
Two Creeks Game Calls

Gentry

As far as dwindling populations go, which seems to be the norm in a lot of states. Do y'all think the increased hunting pressure on turkeys has hunt the numbers? Or do you even think there is an increase of turkey hunters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 22, 2020, 10:47:16 PM

from MS and VA are the 2 I know of.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."