OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommend me a box call

Started by LRD, February 22, 2020, 12:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRD

Looking to add a box call this year and curious on recommendations. I'm a run and gun guy that mostly uses mouth calls but thinking about adding  a box call to the vest. I have no idea what the best wood, etc to look at or call maker. I've heard good things from Halloran boxes and like his pots. Just looking for opinions or maybe someone from here. Thanks!

Tyoung

Get yourself a Halloran Ebony/walnut. Can't go wrong.

Bowguy

SS, Hallorans purpeheart n cedar is good too. Imo though a longbox is way better. SS or McKamey here.

RND1983

You will get a lot of opinions here, but I have found that Hallorans box calls are very easy to run. I have his purpleheart over cedar and it's a great call that you can get in a timely manner. Some box call purists may not be huge fans of his boxes, but boy does it sound good in the woods. I also have a Mora over Black Limba from Greens Run Calls that I am pleased with. Totally different sound and was able to get my hands on it quickly. Mark Six is a great guy to deal with. He consistently posts soundfiles and new boxes on his Facebook page. I don't have a bunch of box calls, but can stand behind these recommendations.

Greg Massey

Get you Jeff Mckamey . Mora over mineral poplar or Canarywood over mineral poplar , either one of these is a great all around box, they will get loud to cut the wind on the early spring days and you can get soft on the box also...

turkey stew

Get a hold of SScustom calls. Their short boxes run easy. Great roll over on the yelp! I`m sure they may have a few listed on their site. They will run them over the phone if you call.

packmule

Agree with all comments so far. Another suggestion, there are 2 longboxes in the classifieds right now Terefencko and Fetters that are great values and killer calls

paboxcall

Quote from: packmule on February 22, 2020, 12:00:27 PM
Agree with all comments so far. Another suggestion, there are 2 longboxes in the classifieds right now Terefencko and Fetters that are great values and killer calls

This ^^
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

J Lacey

A lot of good box builders out there. I'm buddies with most of em so it's hard to suggest one over the other.  I would suggest working with someone willing to send you a few files of the actual call that's for sale no matter the builder. You wanna know what your getting.   At least that's the way I would approach it. Most all of these guys mentioned wouldn't dare put out a bad call.

Best wishes

2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Buckman18

My Halloran Mac. Ebony over Walnut is the best box ive got.

Turkeytider

Halloran, McKamey, SS Custom. Can't go wrong.

culpeper

packmule

Quote from: culpeper on February 22, 2020, 07:40:25 PM
This is interesting ???

Lol. I'll throw another name out there. Scott Witter will build you a good box call too!  Too many good callmakers out there!

Missouri hunter

Halloran, Purple Heart and cedar
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

LRD

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it.