OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anybody use a rhino .660?

Started by RiverRoost, February 21, 2020, 12:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyLB

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on February 24, 2020, 08:02:56 PM
My .660's have always thrown a tighter pattern in my Remington's than my .670's. But I haven't ever shot 3.5 shells either. When I switched to Nitro and HTL I shot straight 6's or straight 7's. And TSS is straight 9's. You might try a 3" shell in a straight weight rather than a blend. HTL 4's and 5's are just wasting space IMO for Turkeys at a ethical distance. But I am not hole counter either. It's just a big experiment to find the right combination and it can be a endless search if your into that sort of thing.  I have read were 3" shells have patterned better than 3.5" shells in a non overboard barrel. Might be worth a try. Just my 2 cents and I am not sure it was worth that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree the 4`s and 5`s are taking up space in them shells, I always shot a 6x7 blend before TSS

RiverRoost

Quote from: KentuckyLB on March 26, 2020, 09:46:01 AM
Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on February 24, 2020, 08:02:56 PM
My .660's have always thrown a tighter pattern in my Remington's than my .670's. But I haven't ever shot 3.5 shells either. When I switched to Nitro and HTL I shot straight 6's or straight 7's. And TSS is straight 9's. You might try a 3" shell in a straight weight rather than a blend. HTL 4's and 5's are just wasting space IMO for Turkeys at a ethical distance. But I am not hole counter either. It's just a big experiment to find the right combination and it can be a endless search if your into that sort of thing.  I have read were 3" shells have patterned better than 3.5" shells in a non overboard barrel. Might be worth a try. Just my 2 cents and I am not sure it was worth that.

I agree the 4`s and 5`s are taking up space in them shells, I always shot a 6x7 blend before TSS

Why would the 4's and 5's being taking up space. Will they not go down range? I don't k ow if nitro loads a 6x7 HTL load

Ozarks Hillbilly

4's & 5's in HTL are overkill. HTL 6's are equivalent to lead 4's as are 7's to 5's. So think of it like this if you took a Mason jar and put some chat Rock and then some pea gravel and then added some sand vs. filling it with just sand. So the point I am trying to make is the rock and pea gravel are just taking up space that you can fill with more sand. Same as the 4's & 5's are taking up space that you can fill with more 7's

RiverRoost

So obviously going to 6/7's or straight 7's would increase my pattern density but would the 4,'s and 5's in HTL be better for distance or would they lose distance quicker due to surface area and wind drag?

Ozarks Hillbilly

6's or 7's in HTL will still retain enough energy to cleanly kill at 40 yards + margin of error. That's why IMO I feel that the HTL shot sizes larger than 6's are overkill for Turkeys.