OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A few tips  (Read 1807 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
A few tips
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:32:42 AM »
Fellers I am sure all of you can't wait to get started. Several of you have done this before and know the drill. Make it easy on our fearless leader. Here are a few things to remember:

Please read and understand the rules for submitting your entry.
From past experience with Tennessee Dream make sure your measurements are submitted by the rules. We had some of the most ruthless gobbler killers in the county on our team. Unfortunately we had 3 birds disqualified because the pictures of the beard, spurs and weight weren't taken properly. It was heart breaking as a captain to tell the members that they were DQ'ed.
   The members all killed more birds but especially in one case we lost about 20 points on one bird. I have utmost confidence that we have a bunch of cold blooded killers once again. Just be careful with your pics and it will go a long ways toward being the 2020 champions.

Here is OG's example of a beard measurement. This was one of the biggest problems we had. IN this photo you can clearly see the beginning of the beard to the tip. While it is great to have a close up of the beard tip as well this the the money shot. On two of the birds that were disqualified the picture didn't show the beard at the body. By not showing the whole beard it would be possible to show the end at any point on a ruler. It is a fair rule to keep everyone honest.

I will add some later.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: A few tips
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
Here is one of the actual pic that got a bird disqualified. It is obvious that this honest mistake cost us a bird.

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the info reflexl. Glad to be on the team again with you! Hope you have a great season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
Same here. I hope you tear em up this year.

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
Thank you reflex!! You are da man! :you_rock:

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »
Tip for the day: Spurs

Since the spur length gets mulitiplied by 10 it is imperative to get every bit of legal spur possible. Check out Shannon's example from the rules:

Two points to make. The spur is being properly measured around the back side of the spur. That is good.

Second point: the tape only goes to 1/8". Does that matter? What if you measure with a tape that goes to 1/8" and you have another 1/16" on each side? You just lost 1.25 points. If everyone on the team lost 1.25 that is 11.25. The have been some close races in the past where 11.25 mattered.

Here was one of our pics that is right the opposite. The spur was measured with a tape that showed 1/16" (1/32 doesn't count) but by measuring the spur straight out it lost 1/16.

The best method I have found is the True form Spur Gauge. I have been testing it on some of my spurs of different shapes and sizes. It provides a nearly a perfect measurement as is possible and is easy to photograph. Here are two very different spurs and it fits the contour very well.

If you don't have the spur gauge at least be sure to use a tape with 1/16" increments.

Offline Dermott

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 08:44:51 PM »
Where can I buy a “  True Form Spur Gauge”?  Thx

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »
https://thebeardedbuck.com/product/true-form-spur-gauge/

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
Thanks I will re-read this again I am sure if I get one.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:21:33 AM »
The tip for today is etiquette. With all of these teams going at it trying to win sportsmanship should not be overlooked. So to make this easy the following procedures seem to work well.

1. It is OK to tell a member of one of the enemy teams good luck on a hunt or congrats on a nice bird.

2.  Treat other teams like you would want to be treated.

3. Trash talk is great! Wear them out! LOL

I have been posting with some of these guys for years. Don't think for a minute that I wont trash talk them. They return the favor. It's all good.