OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Size Coping Saw?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 20, 2020, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Just wondering what size Coping Saw I should be using to finish off my wingbone call? I will be buying the 40v Peroxid, some form of epoxy (Could use some advise here as well, would like something that drys white) and a Coping Saw when I get paid again. Any advise on sandpaper to use on it to smooth out the epoxy after drying? Would E6000 or Titebond 1413 III glue work for threading if I choose to go that way? Any particular thread I should use? I am thinking of having it painted by the way so I am not sure I am going to want threading. I have to head to bed but will reply when I get back home tomorrow afternoon. Thank you in advance for any help given.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMJ8J4C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A28WVEJV6ASAJZ&psc=1
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

mtns2hunt

I made a couple wingbone calls a few years back. I used a fine coping saw with fine teeth that I had in the basement. I'm sure that you could find an epoxy that will dry white. If I remember right I just used some 220 grit sandpaper but the call is easy to make. You just need to go slow and be patient. Not sure how fancy you want to make your call but brightening it up with colored thread is not difficult. It's a fun project that you can do in an afternoon.

Below is a link to a young guy making a call. He shows the fundamentals but is rushing some because he is on video. As I stated you will do better going slow. He also has some calling sequences at the end to the video that should give you a leg up on calling if you don't know the basics. I found the calls very easy to use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+wingbone+turkey+call&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS435US646&oq=How+to+make+a+wingbone+turkey+call&aqs=chrome.0.0l3.14238j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_gmpQXuX2OMq5ggfrkJjYAQ30
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 21, 2020, 07:03:11 PM
I made a couple wingbone calls a few years back. I used a fine coping saw with fine teeth that I had in the basement. I'm sure that you could find an epoxy that will dry white. If I remember right I just used some 220 grit sandpaper but the call is easy to make. You just need to go slow and be patient. Not sure how fancy you want to make your call but brightening it up with colored thread is not difficult. It's a fun project that you can do in an afternoon.

Below is a link to a young guy making a call. He shows the fundamentals but is rushing some because he is on video. As I stated you will do better going slow. He also has some calling sequences at the end to the video that should give you a leg up on calling if you don't know the basics. I found the calls very easy to use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+wingbone+turkey+call&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS435US646&oq=How+to+make+a+wingbone+turkey+call&aqs=chrome.0.0l3.14238j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_gmpQXuX2OMq5ggfrkJjYAQ30

Thanks for the link. I feel stupid but I am not good with tools, it the one I posted the link to considered to be a fine one? Thanks again.

John Koenig:

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 21, 2020, 07:06:21 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 21, 2020, 07:03:11 PM

Thanks for the link. I feel stupid but I am not good with tools, it the one I posted the link to considered to be a fine one? Thanks again.

That is about the size of the one I used. However, were I to make another I would use a saw with a little bit more back bone. Some thing between a hack saw and a coping saw. Don't mean to confuse but a coping saw can twist.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

turkeyhunter91

It's been several years since I have made one and none of mine was fancy but I think the last few i made I used a band saw with a fine blade and clear epoxy.