OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg SA-20 Turkey 20 Gauge Semi-Auto  (Read 3006 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Mossberg SA-20 Turkey 20 Gauge Semi-Auto
« on: February 20, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »
I was not going to spend any more on turkey guns this year, however I seem to have a itch to scratch and want to add a 20 ga auto.I am pretty set on the Sa-20 from Mossberg and plan on picking one up before the start of April.

I found one for a really good price and can't pass it up.What are you guys that own them setting them up with? I will be using a bushnell trs and tss #7,and not sure on choke as of yet.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
Re: Mossberg SA-20 Turkey 20 Gauge Semi-Auto
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:31:49 PM »
I’ve shot mine with the factory turkey tube and hand loaded 1 5/8 tss 9s.

No numbers for ya but it will hold up past the 40 yard mark on paper, furthest I’ve shot a bird is 35 in the 3 years with it.

Tru glo iron sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »
I have on hand a longbeard .568, Tc extra full turkey choke from my 20 ga encore,truglo .550 ssx and the stock turkey choke that it comes with to test.I assume I will find one or all of these will shoot tss #7 or one of the longbeard's in 5 or 6 or mag blends well enough out to 40 yards for me to be comfortable with.

I looked for this gun last year before I bought another but couldn't find it,I can get it for under $815.00 shipped to me brand new,That is a great price up here.I am planning on buying it in about three weeks.

I tried to talk myself out of it but I love turkey hunting and I love turkey guns and I am going to buy and collect until I die.

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
Carlson .575 non ported turkey choke shoots great out of mine !

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »
My stock choke was inconsistent and it’s heavier than advertised. Very nice little gun for the money.

rdjustham

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 01:56:18 AM »
I looked for this gun last year before I bought another but couldn't find it,I can get it for under $815.00 shipped to me brand new,That is a great price up here.I am planning on buying it in about three weeks.

I have a standard SA-20 with 26" barrel i threw a carlsons longbeard choke in last year for my son for youth weekend.  Shooting Federal Premium #7 tss (local store didnt have 9s) its a deadly pattern at 40 that shoots POA/POI.

For what its worth, and i dont know where "up here" is or if $815 is USD, but you can find those guns on Gunbroker for around $500 and thats probably still a touch high.  Again just passing on info, $815 may be a good deal, or depending on currency conversion (if it applies) may be a heck of a deal.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 06:00:39 AM »
I am in Ontario and the price is excellent after taxes and shipping,$812.00 to my door for the gun.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
I bought the wife a SA20 compact a couple of years ago(24" barrel and shorter LOP). I had it drilled & tapped to mount a Vortex Venom. Also had Kick-Eze recoil pad installed. It's a great little gun and have been thinking of getting one for myself. She is shooting 3" LongBeard 6's using a Hevi-13(.573) ported choke. She is not very experienced with shooting so I wanted a more open pattern for her at closer ranges. At 15yds. she has about a vollyball size pattern and at 35yds. it shoots a solid, even pattern. At 37yds it's starting to get a little thin, but it would still kill a bird....more than likely kill one at 40 also.
She tried a Carlson .575 non-ported choke, but it didn't pattern as even as the Hevi-13 choke. She also shot a Trulock Fed. Heavyweight #7 choke. It patterned the Longbeard 6's really well, but was just to tight for her at 15yards(about a tennis ball size pattern)....definitely a 40yd. gun. I believe that choke is .565

The only issue she has had is it doesn't like to eject light trap loads, but it only has about 3 boxes of shells through it. It has gotten better the more it has been shot.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
I am just heading out to see if I can find a mossberg 500 super bantam to shoulder,a buddy bought the tiny one for his son last year(12" lop) and It patterned excellent,It felt like a toy,or like I told him,I feel like Andre the giant shooting this thing..If I can find the one with the 13" lop I may buy it instead of the semi.I just want to add another toy to tinker with,set up,pattern and then put in safe and off to another project.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 08:57:12 AM »
I didn't find anything at all to shoulder but did find out it was a 510 that my buddy picked up last spring for his boy.

I ended up finding and buying a tristar raptor youth with a 24" barrel and in the Next G-1 Vista Camo that a guy purchased last week for $675 and decided to go with a 12 gauge.I got it for half the cost of the Mossberg sa-20,I pick it up this Friday as he is about 2 hours away we are meeting half way.

Offline OzarkStrutter88

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 11:42:12 PM »
I tested my SA 20 this weekend with a LB ported 568 and LB #5. I was really impressed and wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bird 50yds with it. The SA out shot my 1187 with a jebs 555 and XR #5 by 30 pellets at 40yds!!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »
I have been going back and forth the last few days between this gun and a new 12 gauge.I am now leaning towards this little gun and should make my final decision in the next few days.I still have not read a single bad review on this gun and I like what I see,looks like the perfect little turkey gun.

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
You won’t regret getting one I picked up last year. And love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »
I am just hesitant on which gun I want for this spring.I am pretty sure I am going to stick with another 20 gauge and a semi.I have been looking into the sx4 universal 24" model and the 26" bottomland model as I may do a little bird hunting with it and to be honest,I want an excuse to get a gun I can do both with if needed.I was going to try and keep my price around $800 but I may push that out to $1400 if I can locate the exact semi I want,we have a limited selection up here unlike down there as our dealers just do not stock every model,they just do not sell enough.The sa 20 is an order online purchase,I really do not like doing that with a gun I can't shoulder,especially a shotgun.

They seem to stock the "average" shotgun or rifle and maybe the odd "turkey" shotgun or "big bore" rifle.I have sent some emails out this afternoon to a shop where I do a lot of business with and hopefully I hear back tomorrow or in the next few days.

I am not in a huge rush as our season opens April 25th and it is still -20 with 3 feet of snow on the ground.I want to make sure I make the correct purchase for my wants and needs with this gun.