OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Misfire Game Calls

Started by aclawrence, February 18, 2020, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: aclawrence on February 18, 2020, 12:40:32 PM
Haha thanks guys. Don't worry I'm all to familiar with this kind of talk. I'm a pretty serious guitar player and I'm into wood working and wood species so I know all about chasing the "perfect" guitar tone.  So if most trumpets don't drastically different from one another what is the top criteria for choosing a trumpet. Ease of use?  I understand also that sometimes you just like a certain maker and want to buy from them. I did make a wingbone call last year and am semi decent with using that I guess. I imagine a trumpet is a little easier to use. I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glutton for punishment, lol.  When you learn to play a suction style call then you can most likely play any you encounter. Where suction style calls differ from friction calls and are like mouth calls is the ease of playability for the user. Some trumpets I try are a pleasure to run, some are like work. I do not like to work to get the sound I want. When choosing new trumpets I go to shows and play them to see how easy they are for me to play. If not at a show like here on OG there are certain posters that I trust and listen to their recommendations. Being able to play a trumpet is first and foremost. I always recommend certain call makers based on my personal experience and the experience that other players have shared with me. Having said that, trumpets are a personal call and what I like you may not. Once I find a maker I pretty much stick with them and will try others in the method I mentioned earlier.

Some people like Wingbones more than trumpets and some the other. I prefer a trumpet as it is the suction style call I learned on. I can play a Wingbone but I'd given a choice I will pick the trumpet. Both sound great and both can be made for easy playability.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

Quote from: aclawrence on February 18, 2020, 12:40:32 PM
Haha thanks guys. Don't worry I'm all to familiar with this kind of talk. I'm a pretty serious guitar player and I'm into wood working and wood species so I know all about chasing the "perfect" guitar tone.  So if most trumpets don't drastically different from one another what is the top criteria for choosing a trumpet. Ease of use?  I understand also that sometimes you just like a certain maker and want to buy from them. I did make a wingbone call last year and am semi decent with using that I guess. I imagine a trumpet is a little easier to use. I hope.

IMHO, Mr. Lee's trumpets run very easy and sound very good....and I'm picky.

outdoors

All ya have to do is ask the turkeys. When ya go hunting
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

3bailey3

My Misfire black acrylic and Lee is a super nice guy.

beardhunter87

I got 1 few years back and it draws very easily and sounds great I would personally recommend his trumpets

Chris O

Quote from: aclawrence on February 18, 2020, 11:38:09 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Is there much tonal difference between the woods and variables within a certain call maker or is it more of a, this maker's trumpet sounds different than another makers trumpets, but all of one makers trumpets kind of fall within a certain sound?  That's probably a confusing question sorry.

To be honest I can't tell a difference in the woods that I have dealt with. Get what looks good to you and practice practice practice

misfire

I appreciate all the comments guys. I can add to this somewhat in increments.
I still offer the two different mouthpiece sizes, but like davisd stated, I have pretty much gone to the number 2 mouthpiece size. I have had the champion of champions run my calls and he stated that it was by far the easiest running trumpet he has run. As far as different woods choices, it does make a difference in tonal sound. But that difference is so minute, it would take an oscilloscope to see the difference. I too am a musician, and the woods that I prefer are woods that are used for instruments. But, if a wood is not in that density scale, I will stabilize it to get it to that quality.
I understand that a trumpet is a major investment in money for a lot of people, whether it be my trumpet or someone elses, one of the reasons I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I build mine to hunt, not sit on a mantle. I use only a CA finish on all of them, which makes it 100% waterproof and extremely scratch resistant.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

ChiefBubba

I've got a couple of his calls and by no means am I an expert they sound pretty good to me. Easy to run being I'm pretty much a beginner. All the tone stuff I have no clue. I'm a pretty much if it sounds good I go with it. Lee is a great guy every year he donates a Wood Duck call to our Florida Youth Duck hunt for the kids. That being said if you can get one of his wood Duck calls those things are fantastic and very easy to run. Bubba

OHturkey85

I'm new to trumpets and I bought a Osage horn from Mr. Lee last summer it plays easy so for a beginner it's making my learning curve easier and also he's a super nice guy ....highly recommend!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Internal dimensions and mouthpiece are what matters.  Wood is pretty. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

revjtwiggins

I have 4 of Lee's trumpets. I can tell differences between them, but all are full of turkey. Lee is a great guy, and you would do well to have 1 from him.

2nd 100

Lee built my first custom trumpet, about 2005 id guess. Its been on several Grand slams and my 2 Royal slams , it gets used and its gotten em started and a few finished , problem is I was always finishing with a mouth call as that was what I was best with ( in my mind ) these days I'm almost 95% trumpet man . if you really try a trumpet can do it all ( all you need to do to kill a turkey ) you just have to make yourself run them til the end . Lee makes A good looking and easy running trumpet that will kill turkeys if you will persist in running it all the way to the Gun .