OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Misfire Game Calls  (Read 4402 times)

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
Misfire Game Calls
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
Hey friends do any of you have experience with Misfire game calls trumpets?  I spoke with the owner Lee Chadwick at his booth at the show and he was a really nice guy. He offered to let me try some out but with all the people I know that have had the flu the last few weeks I politely declined. Just curious if any of you had tried one. I know you can’t go wrong with a Buice, or KP, or Permar. I hope to get my first trumpet soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Misfire Game Calls
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
I have played many of Mr. Lee's trumpets at Unicoi.  He used to offer two mouthpieces on his trumpets.  The first year I tried them he had trumpets with his one mouthpiece and some with his two mouthpiece.  I really preferred his two mouthpiece.  I think he has gone almost strictly to the two mouthpiece now but he would need to confirm that.  I played almost everyone he had a Unicoi and they all were very nice.  He let me take a green acrylic outside and run it and it was very nice, I would have probably bought it but it was a little bolder looking than i prefer, lol.  I do not think you can go wrong with a Misfire trumpet and they seemed to be getting better and better.  Also, he has alcohol swabs to kill the germs on the calls and I bring my own, lol.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline blantoncreek

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »
I have and had trumpets from several great call makers.  His is one of my favorits. Very easy draw and great tone.   If it didn't sound great I wouldn't have kept it.  I'd recommend 100%!

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Is there much tonal difference between the woods and variables within a certain call maker or is it more of a, this maker’s trumpet sounds different than another makers trumpets, but all of one makers trumpets kind of fall within a certain sound?  That’s probably a confusing question sorry.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
You're gonna get an even more confusing answer...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Is there much tonal difference between the woods and variables within a certain call maker or is it more of a, this maker’s trumpet sounds different than another makers trumpets, but all of one makers trumpets kind of fall within a certain sound?  That’s probably a confusing question sorry.

Depends on who you talk to and your hearing! Lol
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
My best trumpet buddy and I completely disagree on this. I have 6 trumpets made by the same maker out of 6 different woods and 3 different mouthpiece materials. I can't tell the difference between them. At least not enough to matter. The maker says he couldn't tell the difference between the 30+ he made this year.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
Yes there is a difference just like the pot calls
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
My best trumpet buddy and I also disagree on this.   :TooFunny:

Personally I do hear differences in tones, pitches, and etc from different materials, but I will throw you one better, sometimes I hear a difference in trumpets with the same materials. We can get all scientific and everything but some people say they hear a difference and some do not. Personally I think it comes down to a persons hearing, not that one has better or worse, just how they hear. Then again maybe I just think I hear something I want to hear. Sometimes subtle sometimes not subtle at all. I would say that I think the mouthpiece makes more difference in sound than anything, but to each there own and I would never say a person is wrong that they hear it differently than I do.

According to hearing analysis I have had done at work, I have above average hearing, but my wife says it cannot be true.   :toothy12:

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »
PM me your number and this afternoon when I get off work I will take one trumpet and send you three sound files with different mouthpiece materials being used and you can decide for yourself.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
I will say this, it's not going to be drastic like say going from slate to glass.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
I will say this, it's not going to be drastic like say going from slate to glass.

Agreed, it is usually subtle changes in pitch and tone. It comes from how the material reacts with the sound waves being created.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »
Confused yet??

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
BTW, Misfire makes a good trumpet and I don't think you'd go wrong with one as your first

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »
Haha thanks guys. Don’t worry I’m all to familiar with this kind of talk. I’m a pretty serious guitar player and I’m into wood working and wood species so I know all about chasing the “perfect” guitar tone.  So if most trumpets don’t drastically different from one another what is the top criteria for choosing a trumpet. Ease of use?  I understand also that sometimes you just like a certain maker and want to buy from them. I did make a wingbone call last year and am semi decent with using that I guess. I imagine a trumpet is a little easier to use. I hope.