OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opening day trumpet?  (Read 11518 times)

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
Re: Opening day trumpet?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:37 PM »
Old faithful?? :toothy12: Remind us all again, how many years you been hunting with a trumpet?? 4 or is it 5?? Counting 2020 of course.  Seems to me, you are still in the honeymoon phase.  :toothy9: :toothy9:

Dag um buddy!  You starting off the morning with those tough questions making me feel uneasy and all.  :TooFunny:

This is a question that I have started trying to avoid answering.  It is just so hard to choose.  Do you go to your old faithful, do you go to one that you were close with but just did not work out, or do you go to the new girl(s) in town?  I am fortunate that I should have the opportunity at seven tags this year and fortunately I have seven calls I want to hunt, 3 KPs, 3 Buice, and a Prudhomme.  Question is which is first up to bat?  Right now the three front runners are KP Cocuswood, Buice LV, and Prudhomme Ironwood.  It is hard going to be very hard not to slip my KP Bois De Rose around my neck as she has been faithful to me.  I just do not know and the truth is, I will just probably wake up opening morning and have to make the decision and run with it.  Honestly any that I choose then is going to be just fine!
Royal Slam 2008

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
Old faithful?? :toothy12: Remind us all again, how many years you been hunting with a trumpet?? 4 or is it 5?? Counting 2020 of course.  Seems to me, you are still in the honeymoon phase.  :toothy9: :toothy9:

Dag um buddy!  You starting off the morning with those tough questions making me feel uneasy and all.  :TooFunny:

This is a question that I have started trying to avoid answering.  It is just so hard to choose.  Do you go to your old faithful, do you go to one that you were close with but just did not work out, or do you go to the new girl(s) in town?  I am fortunate that I should have the opportunity at seven tags this year and fortunately I have seven calls I want to hunt, 3 KPs, 3 Buice, and a Prudhomme.  Question is which is first up to bat?  Right now the three front runners are KP Cocuswood, Buice LV, and Prudhomme Ironwood.  It is hard going to be very hard not to slip my KP Bois De Rose around my neck as she has been faithful to me.  I just do not know and the truth is, I will just probably wake up opening morning and have to make the decision and run with it.  Honestly any that I choose then is going to be just fine!

Well Mr. Garrett if you count 2020 it is my 7th year. Bought my first trumpet in 2011. Bought my first Buice in February 2013 and killed my first turkey with a trumpet April 2013. Compared to you and others, you are correct I am in the honeymoon phase I guess. Figure I never will be an expert on one and I am good with that. Being 34 and never hearing of a trumpet until I was 24-25, I guess I am doing alright. Good luck this spring!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
I figure I'll be a rookie on a trumpet till I die. That's one of the things that makes it fun.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »

Well Mr. Garrett if you count 2020 it is my 7th year. Bought my first trumpet in 2011. Bought my first Buice in February 2013 and killed my first turkey with a trumpet April 2013. Compared to you and others, you are correct I am in the honeymoon phase I guess. Figure I never will be an expert on one and I am good with that. Being 34 and never hearing of a trumpet until I was 24-25, I guess I am doing alright. Good luck this spring!
Your doing better than me Davis, I am nearly 60, have hunted turkeys since I was a little boy, and just played my first trumpet 3-4 years ago. Sure wish I had found them earlier, but still plenty of time to get better and enjoy them. By the way, I think you are doing great playing them, have a great Spring.

Greg
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
 Could be any of the ones that I have. An I Cannt play any worth a Sh?? so it will be interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:37:51 PM »
I usually carry two with me and tend to favor my new trumpets that haven't yet brought me a gobbler.  This year I'll start with a Buice 5.5" lignum vitae and a Dangerfield desert ironwood, then I'll work in my new Hornstra a bit. Three very different sounding trumpets.  Another honeymooner here, and enjoying every bit of it.  ;D

Offline chefrific

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 10:20:48 PM »
Another honeymooner here, and enjoying every bit of it.  ;D

Personally I hope the honeymoon never ends.
Good name for a team. “The Honeymooners”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 10:29:58 PM »
Another honeymooner here, and enjoying every bit of it.  ;D

Personally I hope the honeymoon never ends.
Good name for a team. “The Honeymooners”

:icon_thumright:

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 10:46:30 PM »
I carry two, a turned trumpet and a Jordan-style cane yelper. Right now I'm very, very partial to Austy Bott's adjustable, easiest running trumpet I've owned.

But what do I know. Only been 16 years of trumpet marriage since I put a ring on it (a.k.a., harvest tag). Always remember your first trumpet long beard, right?

I'm definitely past the honeymoon stage, having had successful relations with Buices, Permars, Heglers, etc. So far, it's all been great. Doubt I'll be a crotchety trumpet-married man when I hit thirty plus years of experience.

:toothy9:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 12:26:33 PM »

I'm still on the honeymoon and hope it never ends as well. Subject to change of course,
                 right now, I plan on carrying my Permar 1940 model cocobolo. One of the best drawing,
                 easiest playing trumpets I own. Hope the local longbeards like it as much as I do!

Offline pinebark

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
I've been to a 50th wedding anniversary and I've been on 1 honeymoon. Hands down had a way better time on the honeymoon. Lol.
Gonna have my first Buice that I bought in the woods with me for the first one (6" Osage #3 MP). Cut my teeth with it and I just have more confidence in it as I have seen its aftermath. Then its whichever one I pick off of the display after that. (More than likely my Permar .45) its rude and crude.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CMBOSTC

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 01:34:57 PM »
I've always been a huge fan of the looks of Mr. Permar's trumpets. I've never played one, but they sure are good looking.

Offline Jfowler82

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
My choice will be between Buice , Permar , or Ezolt . Probably will rotate them but don’t think I can go wrong with any of them !

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »

This one. It’s my favorite of the 3 Buice I own. It’s gaboon Ebony with a #3 amodel mp.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 07:36:25 PM »
Could be any of the ones that I have. An I Cannt play any worth a Sh?? so it will be interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you and me both

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk