OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opening day trumpet?  (Read 11566 times)

Offline pinebark

Opening day trumpet?
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:39:33 PM »
As the season draws near, I'm sure everyone is probably doing the same thing I am and taking every opportunity to pick up one of our horns every time we walk by our display shelf and aggravate our wife and kids with the sounds that do the opposite to our sought after opponent. Just wondering if anyone else on here is halfway superstitious/sentimental and already has a trumpet in mind that they will pull out and give the first gobbler they hear "the medicine". Basically, is it a crapshoot one which one to use or a personal rule to open up with a certain one for most? And which one is it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Re: Opening day trumpet?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:19:43 PM »
This year will be Buice 6” ironwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »
I only have 2, an Osage/bocote from Daryl Gosey and a king wood from Crawdad. I usually rotate them throughout the season. I haven't decided which is going opening day yet.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:03:48 AM »
This year it will be a Lignum Vitae from Kenny Pedelahore. I always hunt with my newest until I kill with it then I start going through the rotation. I like to make sure they get used.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:58:49 AM »
I will probably start with Shag Hill for the first hunt. I would like to send Clay a dead turkey pic!!! It’s always hard to leave my Old faithful Jeff Erb at home and I am really wanting to try my Charlie Trotter because I know it will do well for me. I will end up hunting many different trumpets throughout the season and I enjoy that

CMBOSTC

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 07:04:28 AM »
My ABW trumpet.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 07:18:52 AM »
Dag um buddy!  You starting off the morning with those tough questions making me feel uneasy and all.  :TooFunny:

This is a question that I have started trying to avoid answering.  It is just so hard to choose.  Do you go to your old faithful, do you go to one that you were close with but just did not work out, or do you go to the new girl(s) in town?  I am fortunate that I should have the opportunity at seven tags this year and fortunately I have seven calls I want to hunt, 3 KPs, 3 Buice, and a Prudhomme.  Question is which is first up to bat?  Right now the three front runners are KP Cocuswood, Buice LV, and Prudhomme Ironwood.  It is hard going to be very hard not to slip my KP Bois De Rose around my neck as she has been faithful to me.  I just do not know and the truth is, I will just probably wake up opening morning and have to make the decision and run with it.  Honestly any that I choose then is going to be just fine!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Jfowler82

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
I agree that is a tough question ! I will most likely be a spur of the moment decision!

Offline pinebark

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
Dag um buddy!  You starting off the morning with those tough questions making me feel uneasy and all.  :TooFunny:

This is a question that I have started trying to avoid answering.  It is just so hard to choose.  Do you go to your old faithful, do you go to one that you were close with but just did not work out, or do you go to the new girl(s) in town?  I am fortunate that I should have the opportunity at seven tags this year and fortunately I have seven calls I want to hunt, 3 KPs, 3 Buice, and a Prudhomme.  Question is which is first up to bat?  Right now the three front runners are KP Cocuswood, Buice LV, and Prudhomme Ironwood.  It is hard going to be very hard not to slip my KP Bois De Rose around my neck as she has been faithful to me.  I just do not know and the truth is, I will just probably wake up opening morning and have to make the decision and run with it.  Honestly any that I choose then is going to be just fine!
Haha. Not trying to do that. I have just been reading Mr Larry Proffitt's book "Letters to My Grandsons" and as I read, I realize that I too go through a certain routine when starting out hunting a gobbler and along with that I start out with a certain trumpet that stays on me. However, collecting a few trumpets throughout the years and the excitement of getting blood on them can sway judgement to move away from a certain call that has soaked up most of the playing time on my spring mornings that has proved tried and true. Just wondering if anyone else has trouble setting out calls that prove deadly to bring in the new.

Offline pinebark

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »
My ABW trumpet.

I love rifleshell trumpets. Sharp.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »
My ABW trumpet.

I love rifleshell trumpets. Sharp.

I do too, thank you!

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 04:16:53 PM »
I will have a Buice Tulipwood with 5 different flat mouthpieces and a Ralph Permar 45 hanging around my neck.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline richard black

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 05:10:57 PM »
Anthony Ellis AGE  African blackwood with buffalo horn mouthpiece.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
This is one of my repair jobs, shattered on the lathe.....Ringed Gidgee with Osage Orange to hide the mess. She plays nicely, and is just fine for me. I have others planned, just need some time.

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline chefrific

• The Boss Gobbler
Opening day trumpet?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »
I’ll have my Cox ironwood around my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:24:11 PM by chefrific »