OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: POA/POI Variability  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Spurs Up

POA/POI Variability
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:57 PM »
For those of you who pattern on paper frequently, how much variability do you see from one shot to the next to the next. Even with scopes and red dots, it’s not uncommon for me to see the center of the pattern randomly shift a few to sometimes several inches. I know it ain’t the mount.  I’ve ruled out clean vs dirty barrels by cleaning between shots. Might be me, but I think it’s just what smoothbore scatter guns do.

I think it’s all the more reason to select a more open choke that yields a forgiving pattern.

Offline Rem Man

Re: POA/POI Variability
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 08:57:08 PM »
     Are you shooting from bags or a gun vise of some type? I always use sand bags. I had the same issue when shooting from a sled. I went back to bags and it disappeared!

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:26 PM »
I have not experienced what you are describing. If I did and was using a scope/sight mounted to the receiver I’d go first to the sight and mount, if that checks out I’d would think the barrel was moving. The gun is a machine and if functioning properly with good ammunition it should be very predictable. If not, something is wrong.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
The tighter the choke and the heavier the payload, the more shifting you will see.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
It's a smooth bore shotgun, with birdshot, so it can happen sometimes. Unrelated, but i had a remington 870 slug gun with a rifled barrel and a receiver mounted scope that would shift poi alot. Turned out i wasn't getting the mag cap tight enough, allowing the barrel to shift slightly. Try tightening up the mag cap tight, and see if that helps. A receiver mounted sight combined with a removable barrel can play havoc at times.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Maybe a shift from one shot size or Shell brand to another, but never shot to shot with same load. Something is loose choke ,mount scope or magazine cap as mentioned. I wouldn’t hunt with a gun that had a pattern shift of several inches shot to shot.
     The 870   Wingmaster I hunt with the barrel bead is dead center of the pattern at poi. Never needed any aftermarket site to get the two together. Most times I’ve seen poi/poa  issues were the cheap Express models with a choke thread pattern not square with the bore.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
Anytime you have a shotgun with a removable barrel and an optic mounted to the receiver you have this problem. Compound the issue with a very tight choke and magnum loads and it becomes noticeable. This is why some manufacturers offer turkey guns with a saddle mount on the barrel, if you mount your optic to the barrel you won't have that problem, and I think the Ithica has the barrel permanently attached to the receiver. Another option is to have your barrel pinned.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 03:38:33 PM »
Never experienced that with any of my guns when using the same shell/choke each shot. Different shells will shoot a different POI.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »
I had that problem with Federal Heavyweights in a couple of guns including a single shot. I got tired of it and sold a lifetime supply of heavyweights and went back to hevi 13. So far have not experienced it again. I have heard some people say they have had that problem with Longbeards.

Offline Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:31:09 PM »
 I drove myself nuts a few years ago with the longbeards and shifting poi. I shot from bags, rests, lead sleds, tore the gun apart, put it back together, checked all the screws, tightened the Mag cap with pliers, shot it clean, shot it dirty, etc. There was no way to predict or stop the poi shift from shot to shot. I went back to hevi13 and the problem disappeared, then on to tss, and still no problems. I’ve got two cases of longbeards that I’ll probably never shoot because of it. But Ammo is never a bad thing to have I guess ???????

Offline Txag12

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »
I recently experienced this with my 870 each shot drifting 3-4” in different directions, drove me nuts. I finally tightened the magazines cap with a pair of channel locks (used a old leather belt to pad the magazine cap). I went three clicks past the tightest I could get it to be by hand. Shot 3 shots dead on after

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 04:29:25 PM »
I found if my barrel is a “little dirty” it stays on target and consistent. I run a Ballistol soaked bore snake through it and then a few dry patches every five or six shots.
Works for me
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline strum

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 05:48:03 PM »
I drove myself nuts a few years ago with the longbeards and shifting poi. I shot from bags, rests, lead sleds, tore the gun apart, put it back together, checked all the screws, tightened the Mag cap with pliers, shot it clean, shot it dirty, etc. There was no way to predict or stop the poi shift from shot to shot. I went back to hevi13 and the problem disappeared, then on to tss, and still no problems. I’ve got two cases of longbeards that I’ll probably never shoot because of it. But Ammo is never a bad thing to have I guess ???????

Same here. I gave up on the LBs because of it . went to the TSS and spot on every shot .

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »
My new M2 is spot on with factory full and with Sumtoy 562 and TSS. Shoots same load 8” to right with Carlson’s 655 TSS tube. With Williams choke delivering 294 in the ten at 40 I won’t look further anyway

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
My new M2 is spot on with factory full and with Sumtoy 562 and TSS. Shoots same load 8” to right with Carlson’s 655 TSS tube. With Williams choke delivering 294 in the ten at 40 I won’t look further anyway
X2 with Williams choke , same gun but with heavyweight 7’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]