OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: any advice for using a bike?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline hotspur

any advice for using a bike?
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »
First time using a bike to hunt with. Is there anything I should bring that I might be overlooking, what kind of tools should I bring?. What about biking with boots on?. I have trouble replying so thank you in advance

Offline Brwndg

Re: any advice for using a bike?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »
A pannier rack on back works well, and a vest that has a large compartment in back to haul out bird is a must. A buddy had a gun rack on his handle bars, but I hated it.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:31:13 PM »
A spare tube, tube repair patches, a chain break / repair tool with a master link, small compressed air canister (manually pumping a flat tire using the small pumps that strap to the frame will take a while, and fatiguing). A pair of clear safety glasses is a good idea as well. A rear cargo rack with a small cargo net will hold a bird for the trip back out to the gate. Everything you need to know about fixing a bike in the field can be found on youtube, tons of do it yourself tutorials to fix a chain break, repair a flat, etc.

Disc brakes are 100% worth the money if you are running rim brakes now, or considering buying a bike. Rim brakes tend not to work when wet, and going downhill on a skidder trail, in the dark, with no braking ability is a risk I'm not taking. Disc brakes are dependable regardless of weather.

Flat pedals with pins are also worth the upgrade - wide for boots, and the pins give you positive contact with the pedal.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »
A spare tube, tube repair patches, a chain break / repair tool with a master link, small compressed air canister (manually pumping a flat tire using the small pumps that strap to the frame will take a while, and fatiguing). A pair of clear safety glasses is a good idea as well. A rear cargo rack with a small cargo net will hold a bird for the trip back out to the gate. Everything you need to know about fixing a bike in the field can be found on youtube, tons of do it yourself tutorials to fix a chain break, repair a flat, etc.

Disc brakes are 100% worth the money if you are running rim brakes now, or considering buying a bike. Rim brakes tend not to work when wet, and going downhill on a skidder trail, in the dark, with no braking ability is a risk I'm not taking. Disc brakes are dependable regardless of weather.

Flat pedals with pins are also worth the upgrade - wide for boots, and the pins give you positive contact with the pedal.
  X2 .. one for hunting , needs to be for hunting , so set it up right the first time ...