turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Halloran Long Box

Started by 870BkWht, February 16, 2020, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I don't have a long box of any kind.  I'm considering a long box from Halloran but I'm seeking input and opinions. Anyone have 1 and care to give me a report on sound,  playability, successes, etc?

cphill

Got one friday and have played with it a little so far runs easy and I can run fairly low tone or hammer it loud

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Happy hooker

Hallorans more famous for his short boxes,,I think you can do better on a longbox from someone else,,actually there's a real nice new never used Russel Beard longbox in the classified s in the foolproof combo of cedar over butternut for a very low price, perfect for an introduction.

nyhunter

I have 3 longboxes, My Halloran longbox is by far the easiest to run and sounds the best of the 3.

Bowguy

If it was me I'd prob get an SS or Twisting creek.

Cferrieri

Twisting creek x2 blood wood lid he can make that lid sound Awsome with any body u pick

Greg Massey

For the price and easy of run you can't beat Davids IPE over black limba ...

MO HUNTER

Bob Fulcher - Love my long box. One of the sweetest sounds I've heard.

turkeykiller22

There are a lot of really good longboxes out there. I had never ran one until the NWTF convention a few weeks ago. I really wanted one from Larry Stephens and he was going to have a booth at the show so I knew I could run through them and pick out the ones that I wanted. I highly recommend Larry and his calls. I ran the Halloran long box there as well and it was not as easy for to run.
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Sir-diealot

I have a Russel Beard and a Marlin Watkins, I would suggest either maker to you. Both are easy to play with the Marlin Watkins being the easier of the two. I will put it to you this way, I kept seeing people telling myself and others to get a Marlin Watkins and until I finally got one for myself I never understood what the fuss was all about, but man that thing plays itself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

raywa

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 24, 2020, 03:49:41 PM
I have a Russel Beard and a Marlin Watkins, I would suggest either maker to you. Both are easy to play with the Marlin Watkins being the easier of the two. I will put it to you this way, I kept seeing people telling myself and others to get a Marlin Watkins and until I finally got one for myself I never understood what the fuss was all about, but man that thing plays itself.

What wood combo did you get from Marlin?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: raywa on February 24, 2020, 06:50:44 PM

Alaska Yellow Cedar and Service Berry.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

raywa

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 24, 2020, 07:53:28 PM

Nice looking call

Sir-diealot

Quote from: raywa on February 24, 2020, 08:56:41 PM

Nice looking call
Thank you.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 25, 2020, 12:17:10 PM
Quote from: raywa on February 24, 2020, 08:56:41 PM

Nice looking call
Thank you.
Your Welcome