OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Need some advice on a new gun  (Read 1284 times)

Offline rabbit59

Need some advice on a new gun
« on: February 14, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
I had a neck surgery in 2018 that left my arms weak. I'm right handed and my right arm is worse and shoulder is losing all muscle. I want to go light, 20 gauge, and probably semi auto. I like the Weaterby 459 but right now cant find one. What do you guys recommend and why. Remember, think light and compact. Any other points, I'm open for opinions and comments. Thanks for your help all....

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Need some advice on a new gun
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 09:04:40 AM »
Light weight Autos to consider.
Benelli M2
Franchi Affinity
Mossberg SA-20
Weatherby SA-20

All of those should be around the same weight or lighter than the 459.

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »
Feel your pain brother.........I would suggest the Mossberg, Weatherby and one of the Browning gas guns. I would shy away from a Benelli or Franchi as much as I like them, they are very light in 20GA but being inertia are not soft shooting as a gas gun. Good luck in your search!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline gobblers roost

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
PM sent

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:29:25 AM »
Do not know your budget but I would look at the Beretta A400s in 20 ga.  Tristar makes a 410 that can be made into a legitimate 40 yard turkey gun as well.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
^this^ A 410 might be a good choice for someone in your predicament. With the new tss ammo that is available can make the 410 into a viable turkey gun out to about 40 yards with the right chokes and loads. It would be lighter and with less recoil than a lightweight 20. Something to ponder for sure.       

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
SX4 20 gauge

Anyone’s TSS in 9’s

You will not be undergunned...

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »
I had a neck surgery in 2018 that left my arms weak. I'm right handed and my right arm is worse and shoulder is losing all muscle. I want to go light, 20 gauge, and probably semi auto. I like the Weaterby 459 but right now cant find one. What do you guys recommend and why. Remember, think light and compact. Any other points, I'm open for opinions and comments. Thanks for your help all....

There is a Sa459 for sale on Huntingpa.com.  in the firearms and reloading section.
Don't gobble at me...