OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Getting to know you guys  (Read 3317 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
Getting to know you guys
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
We've had some roster changes over the last few years, so it might be a good idea to reacquaint ourselves with each other.
Are you a gunner or a hoser? For how long? What do you do in your line of work? How long have you been turkey hunting? Private or public? Where do you live? What's your favorite tactics for turkeys? What have been the best stats on your birds? And anything else you might like to add.
3....2....1....and GO!!!

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Getting to know you guys
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »
I'll start!!
RutnNStrutn, my name is Jim. I'm a hoser. ;D I'm retired for 2-1/2 years now, so between not having to go to work, and being OCD, I wound up as your team Captain. :TooFunny:
I live in Oviedo, Florida, just outside of Orlando.
I was a FD engine company Lieutenant with a rescue crew under my supervision as well. My career spanned 34 years, and I retired in June 2017.
I've been turkey hunting since the mid-90's. Started out on public land in FLA, then started hunting out of state, so far always on private land, except my California hunt. I've hunted FLA, Georgia, Alabama, S Carolina, N Carolina, W Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Oklahoma, Nebraska, California and Idaho. I struck out in Georgia, Alabama and Idaho, but still managed to get my Grand Slam along the way. This year I'm going to Mexico for a Goulds turkey in hopes of getting a Royal Slam......assuming I don't get killed by the cartel!! :emoticon-cartoon-012: :z-guntootsmiley: :emoticon-cartoon-012:
I do a lot of sitting and calling over decoys in likely locations when hunting down in Dixie. My favorite method of hunting is running and gunning, but it doesn't work so well down south. I got to do a lot of the run n' gun in WV, Ohio, Oklahoma and Idaho though, and it was very enjoyable.
My longest beard was 13-13/16" after a pellet went through it severing lots of strands. This Ohio gobbler literally drug his beard while walking around standing upright.
2 of my gobblers weighed 25 lb's, and 2 had 1-1/2" spurs.
My top scoring gobbler was a Michigan Eastern that weighed 25 lb's, had a 9-1/2" beard and twin 1-1/2" spurs, scoring 74 points.
Looking forward to your stories guys!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:13:03 PM by RutnNStrutn »

Offline suburbhunter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:24:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Getting to know you guys
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
Name’s Kris. Everyone here calls me Hick cuz no one wants to take the time to put the full handle on there. Don’t blame them. Obviously living in Almost Heaven. I’m currently a middle school science teacher but I’ve also got a pool/hot tub business that’s been doubling in business every year. I’m hoping it’ll get me out of the classroom in the next 2 years. Been hunting turkeys since I was about 16 or so. Didn’t hit it hard until about the last 20 years and more so in the past 15-17. Love it. Mostly private but I’ll go public if there’s enough birds there to make it worthwhile. Not certain the difference between a gunner and a hoser but I prefer to run and gun if there’s room to do so. Generally not around here though. Switching to shotguns has been a big change for me as I’d always used a rifle in my younger days. Didn’t even own a shotgun for 18-20 years. Can’t say I prefer one over the other per say but I’ll switch things up depending on the property. I’ve learned over the years that turkey hunting is all about adapting to the game. While I’ve got my preferences, the birds will dictate my choices as the season progresses. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Best bird to date had a legit 12” beard, 1.5” spurs and just shy of 27#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
Not certain the difference between a gunner and a hoser
Thanks for the reply Kris. Our team is Guns N' Hoses, we're all cops and firefighters. So if you're a cop, you're a gunner, and if you're a firefighter, you're a hoser. ;D
This was more of a team thread, but no worries, here at Guns N' Hoses, we welcome participation in our threads by non-team members. Good luck this spring!!! :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey:

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 12:41:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk
;D :TooFunny:

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »
Hey guys.  I'm 18.5 years in LEO.  Worked as a patrol cop for about 15 years before I switched agencies, and I'm now an instructor at the regional basic academy.  It's a 3-4 year stint.  So instead of working a beat, I get teach classes and run with 22 year old recruits and I'm in the best shape of my life.  I love it. Enjoying it while I'm here.

My wife and I had our first kid this past summer, a little girl.  Wow what a change.  I'm hoping by turkey season things get better with her sleeping.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I get out as much as I did in previous springs. 

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 08:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kris. Our team is Guns N' Hoses, we're all cops and firefighters. So if you're a cop, you're a gunner, and if you're a firefighter, you're a hoser. ;D
This was more of a team thread, but no worries, here at Guns N' Hoses, we welcome participation in our threads by non-team members. Good luck this spring!!! :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey:
Well, crap man. Totally screwed up. Wasn’t paying attention. This popped on my feed and I thought it was for our team. I think when you start a new thread, it pops up in my alerts. Totally didn’t mean to impose. Feel free to have admin delete. Carry on fellas and I certainly do apologize.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
Getting to know YOUuuuuu

Career, 21 year veteran of the FD in the north east, Truck and Engine. Im definitely not an expert.
I’ve been KickiN around here on OG for a little bit now (2011).  On this team now for maybe 5 seasons (guessing). I’ve been in this team competition since the inception. Teams like the magnificent 7 and the Gods of thunder. Now I’m with the best, still patiently waiting to pick up the hardware. I’ve hunted turkeys for 30+ years. Every once in a while I get lucky and get one. And again....... I’m definitely not an expert.

Enjoy All!
Let’s do this!

B-Well
Johnny

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
Well, crap man. Totally screwed up. Wasn’t paying attention. This popped on my feed and I thought it was for our team. I think when you start a new thread, it pops up in my alerts. Totally didn’t mean to impose. Feel free to have admin delete. Carry on fellas and I certainly do apologize.

Kris, no worries at all, you weren't imposing. As I said, unlike some of the other teams, we welcome outside participation on our posts. No problems at all with you replying.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 01:06:37 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm 18.5 years in LEO.  Worked as a patrol cop for about 15 years before I switched agencies, and I'm now an instructor at the regional basic academy.  It's a 3-4 year stint.  So instead of working a beat, I get teach classes and run with 22 year old recruits and I'm in the best shape of my life.  I love it. Enjoying it while I'm here.

My wife and I had our first kid this past summer, a little girl.  Wow what a change.  I'm hoping by turkey season things get better with her sleeping.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I get out as much as I did in previous springs.
That's a plus when you are getting after those mountain birds!! I know what you mean. When I got out of fire school I was in the best shape I'd ever been in.
Congrats on the baby girl. Kids are a blessing. Be safe brother!!

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
Getting to know YOUuuuuu

Career, 21 year veteran of the FD in the north east, Truck and Engine. Im definitely not an expert.
I’ve been KickiN around here on OG for a little bit now (2011).  On this team now for maybe 5 seasons (guessing). I’ve been in this team competition since the inception. Teams like the magnificent 7 and the Gods of thunder. Now I’m with the best, still patiently waiting to pick up the hardware. I’ve hunted turkeys for 30+ years. Every once in a while I get lucky and get one. And again....... I’m definitely not an expert.

Enjoy All!
Let’s do this!

B-Well
Johnny
Good luck this spring Johnny, and be safe brother!!

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »
Getting to know YOUuuuuu

Enjoy All!
Let’s do this!

B-Well
Johnny
Good luck this spring Johnny, and be safe brother!!

^You as well and thank You JimBo! I’m trying, 4 years to go. :^)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 09:11:29 AM »
No problem Kris Ive gone on other teams sites to see whats happening in the turkey hunting world and to congradulate hunters on their Gobblers. Feel free to participate.     :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 11:53:48 PM »
Hey fellas,
My name is Will just like my handle. I kept it easy. I’m a gunner and just passed my 26th year in law enforcement. I work Baltimore County Police and currently hold the rank of Captain. I’ve been a “street guy” most of my career spending just about all of my time in the district. Worked as a drug cop for a few years until I realized it was a single mans job.

I’ve been hunting since I was 11 and hunting turkeys since I was 13. I fall hunt and spring hunt for turkeys. I’m a run and gun guy but if I don’t hear much going on I’ll sit tight in areas I know holds birds. I hunt public and private depending on the state. I’m a huge fan of deer hunting with a bow but just can’t seem to try it for turkey. Nothing like placing that bead on the head! I use all kinds of calls. Box, yelper and mouth calls. There isn’t a day that goes by I’m not running a mouth call. Takes my mind off of work and I get a lot of practice on my way to and from.

My best bird was killed in Rock Hall Maryland in 2015, weighed 26lbs and had an 11 3/4” beard. Big bastard for sure. Turkey hunting is by far my favorite kind of hunting. Mother nature’s chess game! I can’t get enough of it!