turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sumtoy mount vs speed bead

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, January 21, 2020, 03:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkyRidgeRunna

Putting a vortex venom on an old Benelli m1 12 ga.
Looking for input on whether to go speed bead or drill and tap for sumtoy?
What say you?

SumToy

I know what we think is the best.   :TooFunny:

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ArkyRidgeRunna

Quote from: SumToy on January 22, 2020, 08:52:49 AM

I have the sumtoy but how do you know where to
Drill and tap as far as spacing on top or receiver?

dzsmith

I don't know about the speed bead on other models, but on a Remington 870 the recoil of the gun physically would bend the mount from shot to shot, changing your point of impact. on a 870, the part that went between the stock and receiver was a very thin wire like piece of metal that you could bend with your fingers, it actually flexed from shot to shot. Hopefully its designed better on other models. Also, I did not have enough elevation adjustment to even follow the directions and adjust the red dot down to the top of the bead on the end of the barrel. burris actually made a shim kit to fix this problem, however it took enough shimming to make the purpose of the speed bead useless. needless to say, I went with a 336 mount and and got my receiver drilled and tapped by a gunsmith. This was years ago before sumtoy started making mounts. Probably doesn't help you, but id stay away from a speed bead. Just my opinion.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

1iagobblergetter

I'd drill and tap. Fool proof and been working for years. I know this is deviating somewhat from your question,but I'm definitely not a saddle mount fan. Seen to many problems when hunting with friends.

SumToy

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on January 22, 2020, 09:29:08 AM

We put them as far back as you can.   That will also give you then thickest part of the receiver.    Run our base or the burris 336 base is the only way to go.   We put on the 336 for awhile then it got to point we could not get all we needed of them.  So we came out with the one we make. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ahfox16

Quote from: SumToy on January 23, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on January 22, 2020, 09:29:08 AM

Just two of Williams mounts for FF3.  One for a Remington 870 20 gauge and the other for a Benelli Nova 20 gauge.  Both guns are at my gunsmiths now or drilling a tapping.  Much more streamlined then the Weaver base I already had on both guns.

We put them as far back as you can.   That will also give you then thickest part of the receiver.    Run our base or the burris 336 base is the only way to go.   We put on the 336 for awhile then it got to point we could not get all we needed of them.  So we came out with the one we make.