News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke Suggestion for #7 TSS

Started by Art Fern, February 14, 2020, 12:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Fern

Hi All,

I'm putting together my first 20 gauge turkey gun (Sa-20 with 26" barrel) for this spring. I see a lot of choke and pattern reviews for #9 TSS but I'm stuck with #7 Federal TSS due to state regs.

Any choke recommendations for #7 TSS? I'm looking for forgiving, even patterns at 20-40 yards as this will be used by me (I've missed one or two ???????????) and youth hunters.

Will a .587 choke be too open? I know all shotguns are different and I'll need to kill some paper to find what's right for my gun. Just looking for someplace to start.

Thanks!
Tony

ahfox16

I've only shot Heavyweight size 7's and they seem to like in my gun (Nova 20 gauge) chokes tighter then what you are proposing.  I'm thinking something in the .570 area would be a good place to start.

Chad

In my 26" browning, a Carlson .565 was too tight and I had blown patterns with Fed #7 TSS. I went to a Carlson .585 and it puts up great patterns.

Every barrel is different though..

BINK McCARTY

You may want to even try the Kent tk7 penetrator load in 7s with an Indian Creek  .570

Art Fern

Thanks for the replies guys. I've heard both sides.. some have good luck with tighter chokes and some have better patterns with the more open models. Guess I'll get one of each and see what the paper says.

Art Fern

Quote from: Chad on February 14, 2020, 10:53:18 AM
In my 26" browning, a Carlson .565 was too tight and I had blown patterns with Fed #7 TSS. I went to a Carlson .585 and it puts up great patterns.

Every barrel is different though..

How wide are your patterns at 10, 20, 30, 40 yards? Mostly concerned about up close

decoykrvr

Some of the Browning and Winchesters have "over-bored" barrels which take a more open choke ie. .585, but a nominally choked 20 gauge will do better w/ a .555 -.575.  With the larger TSS 7's, I would start w/ a .565.