OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choccolocco WMA  (Read 9115 times)

Offline KentuckyLB

Re: Choccolocco WMA
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »
I have no problem at all crawling up on one and killing him..to each theyre own.

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
Fair enough... don’t know where the phrase “old school” comes from.. but yeah I gotcha!
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Fair enough... don’t know where the phrase “old school” comes from.. but yeah I gotcha!

Old School, Traditional whatever it’s called nowadays. It was just turkey hunting when I came up.
Back then one of the worst insults you could give a turkey hunter was saying “ So and so has to crawl up on his Gobblers”. Same as baiting or any other short cut. You were looked at as less of a hunter for trying to cheat.
     Believe me I understand things have changed and the majority of people have no issue with doing “whatever it takes” but some traditions die hard. Shoot I remember when you could tell boys from girls just by looking at them lol, things change but some of us won’t. Warrant 423 is  one that will not and neither will I.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:38:49 PM by LaLongbeard »
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
Lmao ok

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »

Back then one of the worst insults you could give a turkey hunter was saying “ So and so has to crawl up on his Gobblers”. Same as baiting or any other short cut. You were looked at as less of a hunter for trying to cheat.

Still is today, most places...........and to guys who are out there for the HUNT rather than the kill.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
The oldest hunting tactic in the history of mankind is stealth. But okay. I’m assuming if you send a yelp down a holler and hear a gobble you just plop down right there. Right at the exact spot you heard him? And sit there with your long box, recurve, and flannel shirt and wait for him to break “40 yards” you guys jack every thread on this forum patting yourself on the back for your style. It’s cool man. My original comment about the Pinhoti guy was more or less pointing out that Dave does it the right way. And the you tubers mentioned above have been a pretty positive light on something we all love to do. I’m sure all of them have negitaves and positives. But every thread on this website gets jacked by someone touting their “old school” style when it really isn’t that old school at all. The style is cool and takes skill and patience and much respect to anyone who even goes turkey hunting. But Jesus Christ quit patting your self on the back. Which I know you’re not because you all are sure to say on every thread “not saying what I do is perfect” “I just think this is the right way” blah blah blah. It’s comical. It’s okay guys you’re accepted

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »
The oldest hunting tactic in the history of mankind is stealth. But okay. I’m assuming if you send a yelp down a holler and hear a gobble you just plop down right there. Right at the exact spot you heard him? And sit there with your long box, recurve, and flannel shirt and wait for him to break “40 yards” you guys jack every thread on this forum patting yourself on the back for your style. It’s cool man. My original comment about the Pinhoti guy was more or less pointing out that Dave does it the right way. And the you tubers mentioned above have been a pretty positive light on something we all love to do. I’m sure all of them have negitaves and positives. But every thread on this website gets jacked by someone touting their “old school” style when it really isn’t that old school at all. The style is cool and takes skill and patience and much respect to anyone who even goes turkey hunting. But Jesus Christ quit patting your self on the back. Which I know you’re not because you all are sure to say on every thread “not saying what I do is perfect” “I just think this is the right way” blah blah blah. It’s comical. It’s okay guys you’re accepted
I’m not sure why but for some reason every “old school” or “traditional “ Turkey hunter I know really enjoys upsetting the sensitive “do whatever it takes “ crowd lol. Not sure how the  two things are connected but it is a fact. Seeing the tears in person would be better....but we get by the best we can.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 12:18:54 PM »
I’m not part of the do whatever it takes crowd personally. And I wasn’t talking to your trash . Do you just like hi jacking every thread on here and stating the same sentence about triggering people when you’re the one that cries constantly?

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
Hen shooting?? Details?

Offline zeke632

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »
I’ve now discovered that I’m part of the “Pinhoti Cult”. I don’t have one of his caps (because they were sold out) but I do have a Pinhoti t-shirt.  I enjoy the videos and have just recently found catman and a couple of the other public land videos out there. I expect to enjoy them too when I get around to watching them. I’m also one of those guys with the problem of not knowing how to figure out where they are hunting, other than the knowing what state they are in. 
I admire Dave Owens honesty in how he goes about killing turkeys. He could have only posted those that he called up to give the idea that he was a old school purest. But I think I remember him saying that he’s not a camera man or anything other than a turkey hunter showing how HE hunts.

Seems weird that someone is complaining about social media...on social media.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
Seems weird that someone is complaining about social media...on social media.

Good point.

As for the idea that these YouTube guys are giving away hunting spots, I personally have not seen that at all.  If anybody figures out where they are hunting, it is probably because they live in the area already,...and if that is the case, they should already know if the place has good or bad turkey hunting and/or pressure,....and they know how to deal with it if they are competent turkey hunters. 

If hunting pressure is increasing anywhere, it is likely because spring gobbler hunting is becoming more and more of a passion for those that have discovered it.  It's FUN,...and more and more people are finding that out.  We ain't goin' backwards on that, folks!  If it's public land,...it's PUBLIC land.  Nobody has an exclusive right to it, regardless of how long we might have been hunting it.

Part of being a skilled turkey hunter is learning how to adapt to changing conditions.  One of those conditions is increased hunting pressure, no matter what it results from.  Adapt and deal with it.  There are plenty of avenues for doing that. 

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
Not to be argumentative but I’m gonna say there is a difference in “hunting pressure” on public land in NM vs TN.  If I showed a guy a public spot and then he in turn took THP there and they shot video, showed pin locations, etc for the world to see, I’d be a little pissed at the guy too... Thankfully I’m not in that situation.  However, I do agree public land is there for everyone’s use, some need to be a little wiser in how they share it.

Offline PEte_A

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline buzzardroost

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
Catmans YouTube channel literally did do a ton of damage to one WMA.  He used to name it all
the time.  I really foresee public lands going more and more to quotas in the future to limit the nonsense.

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »
Guilty as charged Zeke632. Lol I've never been in a cult before. All I can say us this, any guy that can travel and kill gobblers in 49 states is a good turkey hunter in my book.