OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choccolocco WMA  (Read 9124 times)

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Choccolocco WMA
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
The YouTubers don’t have too actually say the name. Doesn’t take a detective to figure it out. THP was borrowing the Woodhaven owners camper. Look at a map how many camping areas are within a decent drive of the Woodhaven shop? You can bet he didn’t pull his camper 6 hours away to loan it to the THP.The rest of those mentioned hunted the same place...duh.
    I knew were they were because I’ve been there before but anybody else could easily figure it out. Their hen shooting has stopped me from watching any of them now ,but when Dave mentioned the Jake population last year I knew it would be a mess this year. Alabama has some of the most dedicated Turkey hunters anyway add a few hundred OOS hunters and it gets crazy.   
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 03:27:54 PM »
I buy that onX has change public land hunting pressure 100x more then saying YouTuber ruined a spot they didn't actually mention.

Just the few guys named here air hunts in pretty much every huntable turkey state in the last two seasons so if the "viewers" took the time to decrypt the exact location of every single one of their hunts and flocked to those locations only wouldn't that just re spread us all over the country. Not to mention if every non resident only hunted the locations shown on their videos wouldn't that leave the rest of the states public seeing reduced pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 03:38:22 PM »
When Alabama opens how many other states are open to hunt? Florida  is always tough, Mississippi is not much better. If you had three choices of which state to hunt one state was reported to have a bumper crop of Jakes last season and your going to hunt public land, were would you go? 
    I don’t buy OnX adding to the pressure. Maybe if you never knew how to read a topo  map and ONX has helped you not be scared to walk out of site of the truck, but if you’ve been using a map it makes little difference except now you carry one phone instead of 2-3 maps per state.

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
When Alabama opens how many other states are open to hunt? Florida  is always tough, Mississippi is not much better. If you had three choices of which state to hunt one state was reported to have a bumper crop of Jakes last season and your going to hunt public land, were would you go? 
    I don’t buy OnX adding to the pressure. Maybe if you never knew how to read a topo  map and ONX has helped you not be scared to walk out of site of the truck, but if you’ve been using a map it makes little difference except now you carry one phone instead of 2-3 maps per state.

Quoted for truth...

Those of us that have been around the traveling turkey game long enough have watched many accounts of loose lips leading to influxes of hunting pressure that hurt hunt quality... Time and time again... The first significant go-round (in recent times) started with hunting forums back in the late 2000s. Boy, that really put a whomper on Kansas hunt quality bout the early 2010s! One of my favorite case-studies is the young guy on TNdeer.com forum who started killing turkeys like crazy on public land when he was a newbie. I actually spent a whole 10 minutes reading his post history and it was easy to figure out where he hunted. Heck, he told folks himself. I made the trip to TN to take advantage of the goodness before the pressure got too bad. Last time I went I felt like I needed a Kevlar vest.

But I digress... With social media nowdays, the impacts are even much greater...

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 04:22:39 PM »
Sooooo you’re saying I should expect some pressure then? Maybe Oakmulgee would be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »
Sooooo you’re saying I should expect some pressure then? Maybe Oakmulgee would be better?

In all honesty, let the pinhoti cult stare at their phones and go as deep as they want. Some of the best hunting on that place, as well as most other NF Land, is within 400 yards of the main Forest Roads. Welcome to the Big Leagues and good luck.
I was just kidding I’m not new to the public land game. I gotta say those public land Alabama birds are probably as tough as any I’ve chased

Offline cuttinAR

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »

In all honesty, let the pinhoti cult stare at their phones and go as deep as they want. Some of the best hunting on that place, as well as most other NF Land, is within 400 yards of the main Forest Roads. Welcome to the Big Leagues and good luck.

Haha.  Big leagues is right.  Just do everything you see on the YouTube and you’ll be tagged out in no time!!

Online kytrkyhntr

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 11:11:55 PM »

I agree with this^
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 05:49:58 AM »
If y’all think it’s messed up turkey hunting, it’s really screwed up saltwater fishing in SE LA.

Offline KentuckyLB

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
What Dave Owens and the rest are doing I do not see them stating nothing about where they hunt at..I applaud them for respecting the locals and keeping it quiet.

Online kytrkyhntr

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 10:40:00 AM »

[/quote]In all honesty, let the pinhoti cult stare at their phones and go as deep as they want. Some of the best hunting on that place, as well as most other NF Land, is within 400 yards of the main Forest Roads. Welcome to the Big Leagues and good luck.
[/quote]

Pinhoti Cult? Weren’t you just on a thread a week or so ago REAL upset because someone said “by any means” I believe you used the phrase “piss on you”. Lol I’m no expert but wouldn’t Dave be the exact model for the hunting style you’re trying to promote on here?
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline WALKER80

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »

Quoted for truth...

Those of us that have been around the traveling turkey game long enough have watched many accounts of loose lips leading to influxes of hunting pressure that hurt hunt quality... Time and time again... The first significant go-round (in recent times) started with hunting forums back in the late 2000s. Boy, that really put a whomper on Kansas hunt quality bout the early 2010s! One of my favorite case-studies is the young guy on TNdeer.com forum who started killing turkeys like crazy on public land when he was a newbie. I actually spent a whole 10 minutes reading his post history and it was easy to figure out where he hunted. Heck, he told folks himself. I made the trip to TN to take advantage of the goodness before the pressure got too bad. Last time I went I felt like I needed a Kevlar vest.

But I digress... With social media nowdays, the impacts are even much greater...

I've been to that wma myself.  Unfortunately for me, I found his youtube videos later.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 12:27:33 PM »
What Dave Owens and the rest are doing I do not see them stating nothing about where they hunt at..I applaud them for respecting the locals and keeping it quiet.
It’s public land and not really anything can be done about people telling others or putting it on social media. Some of us were just pointing out what the end result is.
     If you are unable to figure out we’re they are hunting with them basically giving you the location then thats your issue. As stated they gave more than enough information non of which was needed for a hunting show  that clearly showed their  location.
      Some of you may have just got into the traveling to hunt turkeys fad. It wasn’t always a fad. It has been going on for decades long before YouTube long before Facebook. If you’ve been at it long enough you realize how little it takes to ruin a hunting area. The internet has made it much faster and wider reaching.

Offline silent tom

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 12:55:50 PM »
It’s public land and not really anything can be done about people telling others or putting it on social media. Some of us were just pointing out what the end result is.
     If you are unable to figure out we’re they are hunting with them basically giving you the location then thats your issue. As stated they gave more than enough information non of which was needed for a hunting show  that clearly showed their  location.
      Some of you may have just got into the traveling to hunt turkeys fad. It wasn’t always a fad. It has been going on for decades long before YouTube long before Facebook. If you’ve been at it long enough you realize how little it takes to ruin a hunting area. The internet has made it much faster and wider reaching.
Could not agree more.   

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:39 PM »
Dave has killed a super slam with 90% of them coming from public land... you’re gonna be hard pressed to convince anyone that he’s not a great turkey hunter just because he crawls up and shoots some of his birds