only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Double Bull Blinds

Started by Number17, February 10, 2020, 07:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntineveryday

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 11, 2020, 10:48:30 PM
Quote from: huntineveryday on February 11, 2020, 10:06:52 PM
I have 2 double bulls, one early one that's about 20 years old and a ten year old dark horse (has the large two side shoot through window). They are heavy, but they are well built and will last. Practice setting them up at home a bunch, both warm and cold, prior to hunting and it'll go a lot smoother in the field. After sitting in one of the new surroundview models, I'm thinking I may need another! You can see right through those from the inside, which would help kids see birds work even better.

If you're looking for one, rogerssportinggoods usually runs great sales on them. I got an email that the surround view 270 is 50% off right now with free shipping (like $240). Seems like a great deal.

All three of my children were introduced to turkey hunting at age 3 because of those blinds. They can move, play, sleep, whatever until the birds get close enough to see.

Have you hunted out of a Surround View yet?

I have seen issues with them, and customers saying/seeing same things. Just wondering...

MK M GOBL

I haven't, just messed around on the showroom floor. They look great there, but I hadn't seen them at a price that made me look into it that seriously until today when I saw the email from Rogers.

Number17

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 11, 2020, 10:48:30 PM
Quote from: huntineveryday on February 11, 2020, 10:06:52 PM
I have 2 double bulls, one early one that's about 20 years old and a ten year old dark horse (has the large two side shoot through window). They are heavy, but they are well built and will last. Practice setting them up at home a bunch, both warm and cold, prior to hunting and it'll go a lot smoother in the field. After sitting in one of the new surroundview models, I'm thinking I may need another! You can see right through those from the inside, which would help kids see birds work even better.

If you're looking for one, rogerssportinggoods usually runs great sales on them. I got an email that the surround view 270 is 50% off right now with free shipping (like $240). Seems like a great deal.

All three of my children were introduced to turkey hunting at age 3 because of those blinds. They can move, play, sleep, whatever until the birds get close enough to see.

Have you hunted out of a Surround View yet?

I have seen issues with them, and customers saying/seeing same things. Just wondering...

MK M GOBL

Well, I'll let you know because I just ordered one from the Sportsman's Guide on clearance and with a free membership trial for $216 and tax. This is a ridiculous price considering the msrp.
I know that kids are going to want to peek out those windows all the time on a regular blind, and if an animal is coming the kids will be fighting over who gets to see out the window.
Hopefully with the 270 surround view we can all sit back and watch the animals without much of a fuss.

Thanks for all the advice.
I can't imagine those poor souls who don't see the value of sharing this passion with your children. Just very, very strange.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Number17 on February 11, 2020, 11:21:34 PM

Well, I'll let you know because I just ordered one from the Sportsman's Guide on clearance and with a free membership trial for $216 and tax. This is a ridiculous price considering the msrp.
I know that kids are going to want to peek out those windows all the time on a regular blind, and if an animal is coming the kids will be fighting over who gets to see out the window.
Hopefully with the 270 surround view we can all sit back and watch the animals without much of a fuss.

I can't imagine those poor souls who don't see the value of sharing this passion with your children. Just very, very strange.

That's a good deal, so a thing to watch out for is making sure what ever "wall" behind you/kids is blacked out. Primos sells "Black Walls" so you can do this or if you some black material around. Even though it is said to be a one way mesh it can still be seen through, especially with bright sun light. I usually set blind so sunlight is not coming in front window, so sun is at back of blind, this can hurt you with the mesh  to mesh visibility.

Hope it works out for you with the kids, get them out there and have fun!

MK M GOBL

Number17

Quote from: warrent423 on February 11, 2020, 10:52:10 PM
Quote from: Number17 on February 10, 2020, 09:46:38 PM
Quote from: silvestris on February 10, 2020, 10:55:51 AM
I have had a blind (double bull) for years (for bowhunting).  I quit bowhunting due to a blown rotator cuff injury.  I turkey hunted in it one time due to rain.  I would never hunt turkey in it again, with or without kids.  Tell the young ones to be still if they want to come back; they need to learn to hunt.

You take two 8 year old girls and a 5 year old boy with you sometime and try to get them to sit still enough to kill a turkey.
Sounds like a good way to frustrate them into never wanting to go again. Good plan.
We can only hope

Tough guy picking on my 5 year old son.
We take our kids to church, we do daily devotions and prayer, enrolled them in martial arts, and talk to them daily about being kind and courteous to everyone. But we also let them know that there are people like you in the world. People with worthless opinions.
Thanks for the reminder.
I'm going to tell my kids that THIS GUY wants us to fail. We will use you for motivation.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 11, 2020, 11:29:10 PM

That's a good deal, so a thing to watch out for is making sure what ever "wall" behind you/kids is blacked out. Primos sells "Black Walls" so you can do this or if you some black material around. Even though it is said to be a one way mesh it can still be seen through, especially with bright sun light. I usually set blind so sunlight is not coming in front window, so sun is at back of blind, this can hurt you with the mesh  to mesh visibility.

MK M GOBL

Right. The rear wall is blacked out. 3 sides mesh.
But I know what you're saying.
If this blind was for me, I'd most likely stay with a solid black out, but with inquisitive little eyes, ears, and minds........hopefully I made the right choice.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

fallhnt

Quote from: Number17 on February 11, 2020, 11:40:21 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 11, 2020, 11:29:10 PM

MK M GOBL

Right. The rear wall is blacked out. 3 sides mesh.
But I know what you're saying.
If this blind was for me, I'd most likely stay with a solid black out, but with inquisitive little eyes, ears, and minds........hopefully I made the right choice.
If you bought the 270 you'll be pleased. They are hard to set up and harder to take down. If it rains a lot you'll lose visability and get wet. They are cooler than a normal blind. You my want to purchase another black wall for sunny days. I like hunting out of mine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

rakkin6

Sounds like you already made your purchase and got a great deal. I was going to mention Rhino blinds also. I have one and love it. Good luck to the kids and yourself this year.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

MK M GOBL

Quote from: fallhnt on February 12, 2020, 02:16:10 AM
If you bought the 270 you'll be pleased. They are hard to set up and harder to take down. If it rains a lot you'll lose visability and get wet. They are cooler than a normal blind. You my want to purchase another black wall for sunny days. I like hunting out of mine.

Yup, just some of the other things we noticed with the mesh, wind of course and the rain will fill in them holes of them mesh, we get some snow here in our early seasons and that will block your vision. Also when cold and we run heaters it's hard to maintain temp inside it. Other thing I noticed    Why are the window opening "covers" solid black instead of the same mesh??? 

Did think that on those hot day must be nice for ventilation!

Even though its the 270 I would still always have 2 walls of black behind me, I looked at their 180 but they made it so small, I like the size of the 360, and the 270 is just a bit smaller than it.

Just some observations

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

^^^ If viewed from the outside, when you open a shooting window, it goes from black to black. That is the reason behind the black shooting port covers. I've looked at the newer models and like the original 270 best.

Number17

Quote from: fallhnt on February 12, 2020, 07:14:29 AM
^^^ If viewed from the outside, when you open a shooting window, it goes from black to black. That is the reason behind the black shooting port covers. I've looked at the newer models and like the original 270 best.

Interesting idea. That way you don't send a flash of black when you drop a window. Maybe black mesh would be the best option for the windows?

I've weighed all these options, pros and cons, over the past several weeks. For that clearance price I just couldn't pass it up.
I'm thinking maybe a piece of landscaping fabric for extra "black wall". Can't see why that wouldn't work if you needed it. Compact and weighs nothing.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

fallhnt

The price is definitely a trigger puller.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Number17 on February 12, 2020, 07:19:18 AM
Quote from: fallhnt on February 12, 2020, 07:14:29 AM

Interesting idea. That way you don't send a flash of black when you drop a window. Maybe black mesh would be the best option for the windows?

I've weighed all these options, pros and cons, over the past several weeks. For that clearance price I just couldn't pass it up.
I'm thinking maybe a piece of landscaping fabric for extra "black wall". Can't see why that wouldn't work if you needed it. Compact and weighs nothing.

That's a good idea, like that! Definitely a good deal. Even with mine there's things I'd change to suit "me", I'd live some of that mesh incorporated into my "peek" windows, take the window out of the door on my dark horses and such... Just need to make it work for you!

MK M GOBL

Hughesjr60

I've got a double bull and like it and leave it out for deer season on the small piece of private I hunt. I mostly hunt public and that's all I hunt turkeys on. I took the double bull 3 or 4 times last year by myself and for me and my son. A couple times it was a long hike. That sucked. It weighs 23 lbs. I just use it because my son can't sit still and for me to bow hunt turkeys. I bought a baronett for this year. It only weighs 11 lbs. huge difference.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Timmer on February 11, 2020, 01:56:45 PM
I have had an Ameristep for many years.  I have used it when hunting by myself, hunting with my son, and on many NWTF mentor hunts.  It has held up quite well.  I have had to fix some minor tears by sewing it with fishing line.  I would have no hesitancy in buying another one.

That being said, if you are going to put more than 2 of you in a blind, you will be packed in uncomfortably tight.  I picked up a Barronett Pentagon for when I did mentor hunts and a parent wasn't coming along.  You can fit 3+ people no problem with room to spare.  I liked having the space so much that I started using it the last couple of years even when it was just 2 of us. https://www.barronettblinds.com/Product/blind-pentagon-backwoods-camo-7459
Love my Pentagon blind, so much room in that thing it is mind blowing. I am 5'11 and when my back started to act up I was able to lay down in it with no problem til it eased off. Also being able to stand upright in it was a big help to my back, hips and knees. I was hoping to get another before this season but that is not going to happen, hopefully by 2021. I will be mentoring a new turkey hunting out of it thins Spring, that will be a new adventure for both of us.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

They are nice blinds , just out of my price point ...