OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spring Kee Kee run

Started by ChiefBubba, February 29, 2020, 07:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Quote from: ChiefBubba on February 29, 2020, 07:33:52 AM
So just wondering has anyone tried it? I know it's great in the fall but how about in the spring. Bubba

Yes and yes!

ChiefBubba

Thanks guy's. Guess I'll have to put in and see how it goes. Bubba

firedup

The Kee Kee is just more turkey communication. Typically, "I am here, where are you", sometimes called a lost call. It is real good sometimes at getting hens and younger birds talking or looking for each other (you). It is a social communication from turkeys behaving normally. Used hunting in the fall after a scatter usually but turkeys use it year round. Bottom line there is nothing in a reasonably decent Kee Kee call to hurt you. Try it.

trkehunr93

Turkeys make kee kee runs in the spring just like gobblers gobble in the fall.  You just hear one more in the fall and the other more in the spring but it's still part of their vocabulary.

davisd9

Quote from: firedup on March 05, 2020, 08:04:42 PM
The Kee Kee is just more turkey communication. Typically, "I am here, where are you", sometimes called a lost call. It is real good sometimes at getting hens and younger birds talking or looking for each other (you). It is a social communication from turkeys behaving normally. Used hunting in the fall after a scatter usually but turkeys use it year round. Bottom line there is nothing in a reasonably decent Kee Kee call to hurt you. Try it.

Good post! Dr. Lovett said it can be good to add some clucks before and after to give more of that looking for another turkey feel.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

Been using kee-kees forever in the spring. Everything from calling to hens to starting up Gobblers that wouldn't respond to anything else. Wingbones, trumpets and cane yelpers seem to be particularly effective.