OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Double Bull Blinds  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
Double Bull Blinds
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
I've never hunted from a blind so I've never had to research them before, but it seems like you get the Double Bull.....or you get everything else.
The primos blinds are heavily discounted in a number of different places right now.
I have three young kids that are going to start hunting with me, both deer and turkey hunting. I'll run and gun at times, but also let it set up for deer season.

So do I just get the Double Bull, or is there anything else I should be considering?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Double Bull Blinds
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:24 AM »
I like the Ameristep blinds better,but since there Intimidater 360 degree view blind was discontinued I went to Double Bulls.
I'm not a huge fan because of the weight and then not being 360 degree view. They do seem durable and are built to last. I never leave mine set up for extended periods like over a few days to a week due to weather,rodents,and possible thieves,but I live almost 3 hours from my brothers farm.
Usually I just leave them up for however many days were up hunting then pull them when we leave and reset up when we're back for a few days again.
Blinds do work well with kids or I like mine for hunting in the rain.

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
Hunted out of a Double Bull with the wide door one time...if I had to buy another blind that would be it. The fabric is not pencil thin like some other blinds I’ve hunted out of. Plus there’s no zipper to tear up...

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 08:52:32 AM »
Go Double Bull, I have a number of them and they last! Oldest is now 14 years and still going strong. If they are still on sale at Rodgers Sporting Goods you'll find a deal for around $250.  I bought another last fall, couldn't pass up the deal. It will have the Double Wide door and the 180  shooting window. And Lifetime Warranty. Only other blind I would consider is the Xenek but you'll be 4 bills deep into it.

MK M GOBL

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
I have had a blind (double bull) for years (for bowhunting).  I quit bowhunting due to a blown rotator cuff injury.  I turkey hunted in it one time due to rain.  I would never hunt turkey in it again, with or without kids.  Tell the young ones to be still if they want to come back; they need to learn to hunt.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline rock54

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »
just another two cents worth, i have hunted with my daughter and my gf in ameristep blinds for years, because they usually cant sit still, they both have been very successful out of the blind set up, wouldnt hunt
ANY OTHER WAY with them, good luck in your decision, russ

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »
I have had a blind (double bull) for years (for bowhunting).  I quit bowhunting due to a blown rotator cuff injury.  I turkey hunted in it one time due to rain.  I would never hunt turkey in it again, with or without kids.  Tell the young ones to be still if they want to come back; they need to learn to hunt.

You take two 8 year old girls and a 5 year old boy with you sometime and try to get them to sit still enough to kill a turkey.
Sounds like a good way to frustrate them into never wanting to go again. Good plan.

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »

You take two 8 year old girls and a 5 year old boy with you sometime and try to get them to sit still enough to kill a turkey.
Sounds like a good way to frustrate them into never wanting to go again. Good plan.
  You get the blind you want for yourself and the kids , if i listen to ever one on this forum , i wouldn't own anything .. lol.... You will be making memories with those kids ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 10:47:45 PM »

You get the blind you want for yourself and the kids , if i listen to ever one on this forum , i wouldn't own anything .. lol.... You will be making memories with those kids ...
You tell em Greg! lol Get what you want and enjoy those kids when they are still young.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 11:19:00 PM »
I've never hunted from a blind so I've never had to research them before, but it seems like you get the Double Bull.....or you get everything else.
The primos blinds are heavily discounted in a number of different places right now.
I have three young kids that are going to start hunting with me, both deer and turkey hunting. I'll run and gun at times, but also let it set up for deer season.

So do I just get the Double Bull, or is there anything else I should be considering?

There are a few blind strategies to go along with this once you have purchased, if you want some details just let me know.

MK M GOBL

Offline Timmer

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
I have had an Ameristep for many years.  I have used it when hunting by myself, hunting with my son, and on many NWTF mentor hunts.  It has held up quite well.  I have had to fix some minor tears by sewing it with fishing line.  I would have no hesitancy in buying another one.

That being said, if you are going to put more than 2 of you in a blind, you will be packed in uncomfortably tight.  I picked up a Barronett Pentagon for when I did mentor hunts and a parent wasn't coming along.  You can fit 3+ people no problem with room to spare.  I liked having the space so much that I started using it the last couple of years even when it was just 2 of us. https://www.barronettblinds.com/Product/blind-pentagon-backwoods-camo-7459
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline huntineveryday

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:52 PM »
I have 2 double bulls, one early one that's about 20 years old and a ten year old dark horse (has the large two side shoot through window). They are heavy, but they are well built and will last. Practice setting them up at home a bunch, both warm and cold, prior to hunting and it'll go a lot smoother in the field. After sitting in one of the new surroundview models, I'm thinking I may need another! You can see right through those from the inside, which would help kids see birds work even better.

If you're looking for one, rogerssportinggoods usually runs great sales on them. I got an email that the surround view 270 is 50% off right now with free shipping (like $240). Seems like a great deal.

All three of my children were introduced to turkey hunting at age 3 because of those blinds. They can move, play, sleep, whatever until the birds get close enough to see.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 10:48:30 PM »
I have 2 double bulls, one early one that's about 20 years old and a ten year old dark horse (has the large two side shoot through window). They are heavy, but they are well built and will last. Practice setting them up at home a bunch, both warm and cold, prior to hunting and it'll go a lot smoother in the field. After sitting in one of the new surroundview models, I'm thinking I may need another! You can see right through those from the inside, which would help kids see birds work even better.

If you're looking for one, rogerssportinggoods usually runs great sales on them. I got an email that the surround view 270 is 50% off right now with free shipping (like $240). Seems like a great deal.

All three of my children were introduced to turkey hunting at age 3 because of those blinds. They can move, play, sleep, whatever until the birds get close enough to see.

Have you hunted out of a Surround View yet?

I have seen issues with them, and customers saying/seeing same things. Just wondering...

MK M GOBL

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »

We can only hope
Evidently know ones ever shown you if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all..
Absolutely distasteful...

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 11:16:10 PM »

We can only hope
Evidently know ones ever shown you if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all..
Absolutely distasteful...

Agreed iagobblergetter!

We all know who they are and from their comments. I'd take a kid out any day and use my blind & decoys and let them have fun, get them into hunting! Then as they grow and learn to hunt then they can use other methods as well.

I hope no one takes them serious and would not hunt because of their comments/opinions that mean nothing. I'm old enough to know not to care one bit about their "opinions".

Hunt how you want, get the kids, ladies, newbies or whoever out hunting and have fun!

MK M GOBL