turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Different Calls

Started by Big Sky Tom, February 09, 2020, 04:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Sky Tom

What's the conventional wisdom about what calls to use when? I'm just learning so I'm only working on friction calls this year then maybe try to work on mouth calls once I feel really solid with the slate and box. Seems like you can use either call to make pretty much all of the notes but that the box is better at calling loud and the slate is better at softer, more subtle calling. I'm sure you can find a box call master who can do the soft stuff just as well on a box but I'm just speaking in generalities here.

Is a box better at prospecting around trying to get on birds and slate is better at finishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferocious calls

When I make a call for a hunter I tell them that I want them to love the call. If they don't love the call they won't have the confidence to use it like they would if they did. Confidence with a call is key. Practice, practice, practice. Any call mastered will work well all around.

That said, many use the boxes to locate and a mouth call to finish. I love the boxes and use them exclusively many mornings.

GobbleNut

With the calls that are available today, learning to make accurate turkey sounds is the easy part.  Friction calls are obviously the easiest to learn, and if you are just getting into turkey hunting, using a box and/or pot call are your safest bets.  Practice with whatever calls you like until you have confidence in them,...as ferocious said. 

Much more important than the variation in sound of a call (within limits) is knowing what to say and when.  I believe most folks try to make turkey calling way more complicated than it is.  If you want to kill turkeys consistently, learn how to yelp softly and loudly,...and learn how to use the cluck in its various forms (soft clucking all the way to cutting).  Knowing how and when to use those sounds will kill 99% of the turkeys in the woods that are willing to come to a call.

There is nothing more important than experience in turkey calling.  The longer you hunt, the more you will learn what to say and when to say it.  My simple suggestion is to stick with yelping primarily while gaining that experience.  Once you are interacting with turkeys, the old adage of imitating what they are saying to you is a good starting point.

The one final point I would make that I personally feel is extremely important in turkey calling is learning to imitate "cutting" as accurately as you can.  With experience, you will learn when to incorporate that into your calling interactions.  I believe it is a key element in calling turkeys,...especially those that might be reluctant to come to you otherwise.

paboxcall

Only running one or two calls isn't really a disadvantage or game changer. To put it in perspective, if I'm going to pick only one call from my arsenal to run all morning, its going to be a quality box call which will reach out to strike one, and get soft for the coaxing into range.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spitten and drummen

Cadence cadence cadence. That kills birds no matter what type call you use.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Different calls all have a place in you bag of tricks, that being said ,practices, learn your cadence and have patience's.. will kill you more turkeys, don't practice all year , to go opening more and decided i need to leave at 9 clock going back home because your hungry .. take snacks , bottle water etc and stay the day or noon depending what state your hunting.. In my state we can hunt all day , i package a lunch and stay most all day or until late afternoon ... I've been hunting and not hear a bird that morning and around noon or later while eating my lunch a bird fire off in the field or woods.. Now that's exciting ....

etapia

As others have said, confidence kills. Use what you're confident in when calling and you'll kill more birds than following a strict rule of thumb. For me a diaphragm is the best all around call simply because I practice with it the most.

paboxcall

To the point, be aware that guy you see at the gate - a gun with worn bluing, faded Army BTUs, and an old wingbone hanging around his neck. That guy - he's likely a turkey killer.

Don't need 100 calls in your vest, just one you're 100% confident will get the job done.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tom007

I know this sounds funny, but one of my killers is the leaves, and an old turkey wing I dried and put a grip on. I scratch with the feeding cadence, and occasionally flap it on the ground in the leaves. This is a silent killer......be safe....
"Solo hunter"

culpeper

There are few on this site or any others for that matter with the experience (many states), and therefore knowledge gained that can match GobbleNut.  Over the years, his shared, thank you very much, wisdom and first hand experiences, has made a huge impact on my success and enjoyment of hunting wild turkeys.  With that in mind and as a 45 years experienced bowhunter, I can't say enough what woodsmanship WILL DO for your success and satisfaction and couple that with LEARNING the property on which you hunt; terrain, special features like benches water courses, changes in vegetation, transitions, primary food sources, will certainly put you in more exciting opportunities to potentially "pull the trigger".

GobbleNut

Quote from: culpeper on March 03, 2020, 09:55:52 AM
There are few on this site or any others for that matter with the experience (many states), and therefore knowledge gained that can match GobbleNut.  Over the years, his shared, thank you very much, wisdom and first hand experiences, has made a huge impact on my success and enjoyment of hunting wild turkeys.  With that in mind and as a 45 years experienced bowhunter, I can't say enough what woodsmanship WILL DO for your success and satisfaction and couple that with LEARNING the property on which you hunt; terrain, special features like benches water courses, changes in vegetation, transitions, primary food sources, will certainly put you in more exciting opportunities to potentially "pull the trigger".

Wow,...thanks for that comment Culpeper.  I am both flattered and touched.  I know there are plenty of others here that deserve the same, but I sincerely appreciate the compliment.  My attitude here on OG has always been one of trying to help others enjoy spring gobbler hunting as much as I have come to love it.  Good to hear that, perhaps, I have.  Thanks again, my friend.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

culpeper

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 03, 2020, 10:14:16 AM
Quote from: culpeper on March 03, 2020, 09:55:52 AM

Wow,...thanks for that comment Culpeper.  I am both flattered and touched.  I know there are plenty of others here that deserve the same, but I sincerely appreciate the compliment.  My attitude here on OG has always been one of trying to help others enjoy spring gobbler hunting as much as I have come to love it.  Good to hear that, perhaps, I have.  Thanks again, my friend.

Well, yes, there are plenty here with similar experiences and knowledge, but you seem to always be more than willing to offer, not preach, your wisdom/experiences to those with hopefully an open mind and the ability to really listen.  It is helping that makes us stronger, but the willingness to present the information and in a manner that is non-partisan to others experiences...well, you're welcome.