OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: General question on cuts of wood  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ozarktroutbum

General question on cuts of wood
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:50:03 PM »
I am really not even close to a wood expert but had been under the impression that good horizontal and vertical grained boards are typically quarter sewn.

I have an old billy white hustlin hen that has some cathedral in the wood that's pretty noticeable toward the handle end on the base of the call if you are looking at the call from directly above. And of course that's a good call.

Can a good call be just as likely quartern sewn as it is to be flat sewn?

Offline ahfox16

Re: General question on cuts of wood
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:24:54 PM »
I know a lot more about gunstock woods then wood used for turkey calls.  That said, in the gunstock world Quartersawn wood is preferred because its the most stable and less prone to warping during the drying/curing process.  In the gunstock world the rule of thumb is wood should be air dried instead of kiln dried as kiln dried wood had a tendency to be brittle.   That's the reason those folks who make high class wood instruments only use air dried wood that has been well cured/seasoned.  Simple reason is because its not brittle, not warped and it sounds better.  Lastly drying times are generally air dried for 1" of thickness and then air dried for another year or two after that so its well cured/seasoned.  Accordingly, wood used on a pot call should be air dried for at least 3 years so its good and stable and the sound quality is were one wants it to be.