OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Opinions on my pattern ADDED PIC  (Read 2837 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Opinions on my pattern ADDED PIC
« on: February 23, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »
I’ll have to download the photobucket app again to load a picture of my pattern but I’m shooting a SX3 longbeard with .670 rhino and nitro H518. I know they are advertising 280+ on their website with that combo and my gun is dirty and needs a cleaning and may could pick up a few more in the 10 but yesterday it was putting 255 @ 40yds in a 10”. Just wanted yalls opinion on those numbers and anything to do if anything to get them higher. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:13:08 PM by RiverRoost »

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: Opinions on my pattern
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »
What was your temp?  Higher temps will increase your numbers about 10%.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 06:25:27 PM »
It was probably 55 degrees here yesterday when shooting.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »
Got a gift card to cabelas and was wondering if I should try the Carlson .665 with my setup?

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »
255 in a 10 at 40 is pretty darn good, what does the 20 inch circle look like?  As long as it's a nice even pattern, hunt it.  A 25 pellet variant isn't much IMO. 

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »
Anybody know the total pellet count in that particular shell? Just curious my percentages. As for the 20” there was a decent spread around the paper

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Opinions on my pattern UPDATED WITH PICS
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 07:12:25 PM »

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Opinions on my pattern ADDED PIC
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »
Looking more at this looks like the larger shot in the blend was loosing velocity and falling out at 40 yds bc to me it seems more of larger holes at the bottom of my paper. Thoughts? Should I move to a different blend or different load?

Offline Extremesolo

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:04:39 PM »
I would think something else is going on there.  If I recall physics class correctly, the larger pellets would actually shed velocity less quickly than the smaller pellets assuming they all started at the same velocity.  If anything, the smaller pellets would have been lower than the larger pellets on the paper if it was a velocity thing.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
Anything I can do to get more of those larger shot pellets at the bottom of the target up into the 10 or 20 rings

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
I would think something else is going on there.  If I recall physics class correctly, the larger pellets would actually shed velocity less quickly than the smaller pellets assuming they all started at the same velocity.  If anything, the smaller pellets would have been lower than the larger pellets on the paper if it was a velocity thing.

Same density pellets of larger size will shed velocity quicker than smaller pellets.  More air resistance equals faster velocity bleed. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline etapia

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 04:07:11 PM »
Got a gift card to cabelas and was wondering if I should try the Carlson .665 with my setup?

I currently shoot a SX4 with that choke. Does great for patterns for me but I shoot Longbeard XR's.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »

Same density pellets of larger size will shed velocity quicker than smaller pellets.  More air resistance equals faster velocity bleed.

That’s kinda what I thought but I’m wrong more than I’m right on a lot of stuff!

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 12:28:05 AM »
Anything I can do to get more of those larger shot pellets at the bottom of the target up into the 10 or 20 rings

Aim a little higher  :TooFunny:

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 01:26:23 PM »

Aim a little higher  :TooFunny:

Haha the cheapest fix for sure!