OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trip Preparation

Started by Iaguntrader, February 07, 2020, 08:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iaguntrader

We are looking at going to Nebraska for a public land hunt. This is my first out of state hunt that is more then an hour from home, so I'm looking for advice on what others do on out of state hunts to prepare for the hunt and trip.

I've contacted the state and received information on Nebraska hunting regulations and a printed public land atlas. I'll buy a one year single state OnX map from Camofire and use it for Nebraska once we get closer to the trip. I've spent some time researching campgrounds and looking at the public ground on Google Earth. I plan to call the biologist for the area in late April. I also plan to look at the forecast a week prior and pack the appropriate gear.

Anything else that I may have overlooked or should consider when hunting another state?

Thanks in advance!

Sir-diealot

I have not taken trips for turkey hunting but used to camp a bit and these are ones you want to remember. Medications including asthma pumps or epi-pens if you may need them. Some mole skin, nothing ruins a trip like a blister and moleskin can be a big help. Oh and TP in the backpack.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gentry

Sounds like you got it covered. Although I would go ahead and call the biologist now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex T.

Since I live in Nebraska here's some advice. 1) if you plan on using lodging for places to stay, you may wish to book soon if you're going to the NW corner to chase whitetips. It gets busy out there for gun season. 2) watch the roads, some of the roads out there can be treacherous if wet. 3) take a GPS, you can get turned around easily. 4) all you need is an out of state turkey permit and habitat stamp to hunt. Check if you need a hunter Ed card requirements, I have one so I'm not sure on age requirements for getting a permit. 5) there's turkeys all over the state and there is way less pressure in other areas if you don't need the whitetips.  :funnyturkey: