OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting with a Tactacam.  (Read 6868 times)

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Hunting with a Tactacam.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
Great information.  I guess my main problem/thought on the Tactacam (or similar) is that if it is attached to your gun (or other part of the body) the shot recoil is going to always be a problem,...which pretty much means if you want to get a good video of the actual shot, you would always have to have another camera running and on the bird.

I am not trying to get professional-level footage.  I use a small (but pretty good) Sony on a tripod set beside me so I can catch the "action", but the obvious short-coming of that is you only get that one angle,...not to mention that movement is always going to be a concern when turkeys are close by.  After some consideration of the options, I am leaning towards just picking up another inexpensive Sony (or similar) and setting it up in a position that I can get some wider-view footage from behind or from the side and just hoping it is pointed in the right direction, I suppose. 

What us self-filmers really need is some sort of affordable, remote-control camera and tripod set-up so we can control every aspect of the filming from a single source without movement.  I'm not aware that anything like that exists, but it would sure make things a lot easier. 

Here's another question for you guys that try to put together more complete videos of your hunts:  What editing software and/or equipment do you use?

Agreed, I do at times forget the camera and keeping it pointed at the bird after the shot, and the recoil part too. Even with the bow I have done this, my head is still in the hunt :)

I am not aware of any remote camera system that could do what your thinking, I have looked at some different one but not set up for the self filming. I'm sure why I act as cameraman for my buddies.

I have some older software I use (Pinnacle Pro) and it's ok for my use, even buddies I film for just send in raw unedited footage and their sponsors do the editing.  I hear some of that software can get pretty pricey...

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:24:34 AM by MK M GOBL »

Online Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 06:40:21 AM »
I use Shotcut because it's open source...thus free. Not a professional product but suits my needs. Plus tons of YouTube info on it's use, due to being open source.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
I just purchased a  tactacam but due to my Turkey gun having a  very short barrel, I don't like having action cams mounted on the barrel.  I tried zip ties to the reciever but the pump knocks it loose.  So plan c was picatinny rail mount. Itl be here tomorrow and  we will see. I have the lid cam on my hat as well. So I'll be covered whatever goes down.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 01:47:41 PM »
I've had the 4.0 since it came out. I LEAVE it on the zoomed, 2.5k setting at 30fps.  I mount it under the barrel of all of my shotguns with the newer tactacam mount as close to the sling swivel at I can get it to minimize vibration.   Another BIG factor is your follow through.  You MUST be steady at the shot and follow through, not just jumping up at the shot or you won't get anything but a quick, shaky shot and then blur.  The mount that tactacam sells comes with a rubber pad on the gun clamp to protect the finish and help with vibration. I learned the hard way that if you aren't steady and follow through with the thing, your video quality really suffers...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline strut-n-rut

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 08:59:55 PM »
I just got a head mount, so far I like it

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 02:36:17 PM »
I ordered a Tactacam 5.0. Should be here early next week. Michael Waddell has a video about his turkey gun set up. He mounts it w zip ties to the fore end. Of course needs to be a semi auto cuz as stated, it won’t work that way w a pump. I also ordered a head mount in case gun is too wild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcXFj1l5JS0
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
I've had a 5.0 tactacam since they came out, and have hardly used it. Originally purchased more for Bowhunting, where I could attach it to my bow. Although after trying, the bow jump at the shot messes with the quality, and one must then follow the action with the bow.

The 5.0 package I bought also came with a gun mount, which I planned on using for Turkey but never did. After mounting it to the gun, did not like how sloppy it was, and couldn't imagine the gun shock, let alone not liking the shock even on a bow, so never tried it on the gun.

So I planned on making a hat mount and finally did. Used two plastic electrical clamps mounted in opposing directions on the bill of an old hat, to keep the camera from turning, The clamps are just big enough to install or remove the camera, then tightening the two riv-nuts holds it securely, it's actually very secure on the bill with no slop. Also got a -20 caplug which fits perfectly over the end to protect the lens.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
Also got a -20 caplug which fits perfectly over the end to protect the lens.

What exactly is that and where do you get one?
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline deerbasshunter3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • God bless, and happy hunting!
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:52 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I finally took the Tactacam off of my bow and eventually off of my shotgun. I, honestly, just never thought/think to turn it on before taking a shot...

Online Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 02:57:54 PM »
Cutt...I initially tried that setup but abandoned it for two reasons. 1) it was bill heavy thus, to me, annoying, and, 2) unless you're looking straight on at the bird he's out of the frame...you can't have your head down on the stock and have him in-frame. That's why I developed my "wire sight".