OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The Wait Sucks!  (Read 6738 times)

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: The Wait Sucks!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
Never really thought of it, but they are swamp rabbits. Didn’t realize they had 2 species here. We have tons of them.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
I think swamp rabbits are a subspecies or something of a cottontail.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
That’s what the World Wide Web said. I just thought we had big rabbits, like the Midwest has big deer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 12:33:57 PM »
All this rabbit talk is getting me hungry, every time I see one I think white beans and rabbit.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »

I think so too. There’s lots of subspecies but swampers exhibit different tendencies

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »

I think so too. There’s lots of subspecies but swampers exhibit different tendencies

I can't speak of their tendencies, but they seem to act just like rabbits I've encounter elsewhere, saving TX and NM as exceptions.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »

I can't speak of their tendencies, but they seem to act just like rabbits I've encounter elsewhere, saving TX and NM as exceptions.

They seem to make bigger loops is the biggest difference I have seen.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
I was referring to the swampers swimming. I think we’re talking 2 dif rabbits

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 02:09:54 PM »
I thought all rabbits could swim.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »
Back to the waiting part though. I actually don’t mind it. I enjoy the prep. Finding birds, listening to what’s to come, patterning them, working on guns, running calls, etc.
I feel the same way bow hunting. The constant practice, sharpening knives, broadheads, splicing feathers on arrows, etc, to me all part of it and an enjoyable part. It all keeps me involved even during the off seasons.
For instance running dogs, running traps, what have you, you see so much you prob wouldn’t have if you say at home waiting. Time in the woods can be multi faceted. What’s better than listening to a pack coming to ya and finding a bunch of turkey tracks in an area you might not have looked?
Good stuff.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 02:26:09 PM »
Back to the waiting part though. I actually don’t mind it. I enjoy the prep. Finding birds, listening to what’s to come, patterning them, working on guns, running calls, etc.
I feel the same way bow hunting. The constant practice, sharpening knives, broadheads, splicing feathers on arrows, etc, to me all part of it and an enjoyable part. It all keeps me involved even during the off seasons.
For instance running dogs, running traps, what have you, you see so much you prob wouldn’t have if you say at home waiting. Time in the woods can be multi faceted. What’s better than listening to a pack coming to ya and finding a bunch of turkey tracks in an area you might not have looked?
Good stuff.

I have deer hunted since Sept, duck hunted since thanksgiving and back in December, and hunt other small game. It is time to stay home with family and rest for a long spring

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
Wished you guys lived closer. I got 40 acres that is ate up with rabbits. More swampers than cottontails. Every time I’ve let people hunt they tell me their dogs got wore out. It’s very thick and those swampers will cover a lot of ground on the dogs.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 07:47:47 PM »
Good stuff.

I have deer hunted since Sept, duck hunted since thanksgiving and back in December, and hunt other small game. It is time to stay home with family and rest for a long spring

Family is more important than all this stuff so I understand

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 04:44:26 PM »
Went out with my youngest this afternoon to pull a card from a camera I keep out and found fresh scratching afterwards as we were looping thru the woods to see if any squirrels were running around wanting to get shot, there weren’t any.  Camera did have a couple of pics of a jake running by at a pretty good click.  Found some older, recent scratching as well, hopefully there’s a mature bird or two running around. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
Went fishing Sunday and found a few.