OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: scissors and reed cuts  (Read 5782 times)

Offline GMC

scissors and reed cuts
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
Does anyone have a good pair of scissors they would recommend for cutting the reed? or have any advice how to make better cuts? I just got started and I bought a little pair of scissors from the sewing section in hobby lobby. i thought cutting the reed would be the easiest part of the process but I am finding it to be the most difficult. I've been pretty consistent in getting the call made, but I have yet to make a cut that resembled what I am used to buying and have called on in the past. any advice or links would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Offline GMC

Re: scissors and reed cuts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »
kind of answering my own question here but I found the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKDJs4UXZx8&feature=youtu.be. about 4 and a half minutes in he explains how he cuts the call. It may be that my blades on the scissors are too skinny? My "V cuts" dont have that much width in the cuts, they are much skinnier. I will try a wider blade. any advice on how to improve would still be very much appreciated.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »
Sharp scissors.  I've cut thousands of calls and the only thing I can tell you is sharp scissors and don't leave a call for an extended period of time because the latex will take a set and not open up like a fresh cut call. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline bowhunter2k9

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
kind of answering my own question here but I found the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKDJs4UXZx8&feature=youtu.be. about 4 and a half minutes in he explains how he cuts the call. It may be that my blades on the scissors are too skinny? My "V cuts" dont have that much width in the cuts, they are much skinnier. I will try a wider blade. any advice on how to improve would still be very much appreciated.

don't need a wider blade, the blade widtch doesn't change the cut, the cut width is only changed by how much stretch of the latex.
Romans 8:38-39

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:54:33 AM »
After using many different ones over the years, including high priced fly tying scissors, I found that most just dont cut it ..literally. I settled on the small Fiskars. Sharp as heck and will slice latex, proph and everything else cleanly and in one cut. I also tack my latex together with them. They are  generally available at Walmart in the sewing section, Amazon etc. They are called detail scissors. Like 10 bucks. The points are sharp as heck so you have to be careful there, poking a finger or when slipping under the top reed, but I wont use anything else at this point.
Mark

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 09:54:02 PM »
Nothing new to add except that you don't have to have the most expensive scissors to make the cuts.  Sharp pointed scissors are pretty important for getting between the reeds, but other than that, I have used some of the cheapest scissors you can buy and have been able to make the reed cuts. 

Part of the problem you are having may be the result of not putting the proper tension on the scissor blades themselves.  There is a little bit of an art involved in holding scissors properly so that the blades are contacting each other correctly.  I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it is a possibility. Scissors I use with my dominant hand that work great, I can't make a cut with using my off hand.  Kinda weird, but a reality....

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
scissors and reed cuts
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 07:44:17 AM »
These are my favorite, 2.5 inches. Stay sharp. Man size grip but small blades. Worth a try for the price.
$5.24

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:29:22 AM »
These are my favorite, 2.5 inches. Stay sharp. Man size grip but small blades. Worth a try for the price.
$5.24

Ah, I bet these are good, I have other Wescott scissors that are great.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline randytanner

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 11:49:49 PM »
I'd recommend two scissors--one to trim the latex around the frame (fiskars) and one to make the cuts (Dr. Slicks Razor).  The Dr. Slicks are precise and make detailed cuts pretty well. The pointed ends on the Dr. Slicks make it easy to get between the reeds.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
I'd recommend two scissors--one to trim the latex around the frame (fiskars) and one to make the cuts (Dr. Slicks Razor).  The Dr. Slicks are precise and make detailed cuts pretty well. The pointed ends on the Dr. Slicks make it easy to get between the reeds.

That’s a good idea Randy, nicking the frame is what ruins them.

Offline maxbo36

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
I use Dr. Slick Micro tip for the cuts in the calls and Dr. Slick Hair scissor for trimming.  They are a bit expensive and to be honest some last me for thousands of calls and some just a few hundred but all and all the best I have found.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 07:05:51 PM »

don't need a wider blade, the blade widtch doesn't change the cut, the cut width is only changed by how much stretch of the latex.
so a tighter stretch will result in a wider cut or the other way around?
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline bowhunter2k9

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 07:50:15 PM »

so a tighter stretch will result in a wider cut or the other way around?
Yes tighter stretch will separate more when cut
Romans 8:38-39

Offline Turkeyjak

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 08:23:03 PM »
Dr.Slick & stretch tight. All you need.

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 01:57:46 AM »
Good deal thanks guys
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.