OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Killer B’s Story Thread  (Read 13169 times)

Offline POk3s

Re: Killer B’s Story Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2020, 10:38:52 AM »
Alrighty mossyguy! Congratulations!

Offline Hoosier2

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
Congrats mossy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online zsully

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »
Way to go Missy!!!!! Congrats on a real good bird.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
CONGRATS, you guys !!!!!

Apologies...........   I've been told I'm essential and I've been busy as a cat covering crap at work.   Still have a month til I can hunt.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline POk3s

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
Yoder, no apologies necessary. Everyone’s lives are pretty weird right now!

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2020, 07:44:34 PM »
Had my first public land mishap this morning. Found the gobblingest turkey I’ve had all year. Finally got into his bubble at 9:00. Had safety off 3 different times in 30 minutes.

Finally had him about to finish at 60 yards, breathing fire down my barrel, and all of a sudden heard some odd squeaking on a mouth call and putt putt game was over.

Someone had heard him from the road, cranked up their 4 wheeler, (which was plainly audible,) driven it to the trailhead, cut across private land, and walked straight down the road squawking to spook the bird. Very inopportune timing.

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2020, 11:02:36 PM »
Ah yes...the joys of public land. Never hunted public in Mississippi but in Georgia and Kentucky I ran across some doozies. When a turkey gobbles some folks just lose their mind...

Online zsully

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
I’ve had some good ones here in Pa. too. The ones that are tough to swallow are the intentional ones where the hunter that screws you up is parked right beside you when you get out. Even had a couple over the years on private land too.

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2020, 11:42:40 PM »
That's a huge bummer, but hunt long enough and you'll see all kinds of things. I've had bb's whiz passed, been rained down on with BB's from a guy shooting a bird out of a tree, heard a dog get shot that came in on a guy, and bb's hit my brother in laws pants. There's some sloppy hunters out there. Stay safe and happy hunting my friends.

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
Another afternoon bird a few minutes ago. Birds are not gobbling so I’ve had to rely on trail cam pics. Doubt this one will be an upgrade but I’ll measure to make sure. It’s been slow but a great season nonetheless!

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »
WOOT WOOOOOOT !!!!!!

CONGRATS !!!!!

:z-winnersmiley:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline xbowhuntonly

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2020, 07:56:03 PM »
Congrats

Offline xbowhuntonly

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:14 PM »
Well tomorrow is opening day in NC will see how it goes suppose to be 33 degrees in the morning so they maybe tight lipped

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2020, 11:21:35 AM »
Killer opening morning!  Heard a bird hammering right at first light WAY down a powerline where I hunt, so I made my way in his direction down the powerline, stopping and listening, and he was steadily hammering.  He ended up being much farther than I originally thought, so I probably covered close to a half mile at least trucking down the line in his direction.  Finally got close and could tell he was over on another ridge, but I was close enough and even with him so I put out my jake and hen and sat just off the powerline in the woods.
   Hit the call a few times lightly, and had a hen respond.  At first I thought it was another hunter, but she made a beeline to the dekes and unfortunately was alone.  As he's still steadily gobbling about 250 yards away, I was hoping she didn't go his direction.  Fortunately she left the decoys and went the opposite way of him. 
 I don't think he went 3 minutes in between gobbles, and would respond every time I hit the call, but didn't seem to be coming any closer.  I finally just put the call down and figured I'd sit tight and wait.  15 or so minutes went by with him not gobbling, and I thought I'd be in for a long morning, when he HAMMERED much much closer this time, probably 100 yards tops.  I had the gun up and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, no turkey.   
Eventually I catch a big black blob out of the corner of my eye coming around the big tree to my left, and he's in full strut in the powerline coming towards the decoys, 10 yards from me.   I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest as he SLOWLY makes his way towards the decoys, in full strut, spitting and drumming.   After what seemed like forever of him tip toeing and towards the decoys and putting on a show, he finally made his last final steps, and I dropped him at about 15 yards.   And I called him in with one of my calls I made, which makes it even sweeter!  Pics are in the scoring thread

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2020, 12:55:35 PM »
Money! Congrats man!