OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: crows  (Read 3302 times)

Offline hotspur

crows
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
Don't no if someone has posted something like thisbut hear it goes.every tirkey hunter knows blowing a crow call can make a tom gobble, but there are things you can do with crows to help find a gobbler. When prospecting, looking and listening for a gobbler many times I will walk a road net blowing acrow call , I will sneak along out of sight, many times crows will be attracted to the calling. I like the crows to follow me calling for me, many have pulled a gobble out of the woods for me.another way crows help is when covering ground and hear crows cawing move closer and alot of times ill hear a gobbler gobbling back at the crows

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: crows
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
I don't use a crow call much usually just wait for a real crow to make some noise. I read in another forum that crows are bad about cawing at hens and following them to see where they are nesting so they can raid the nest. I wonder if this is true?

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:50 PM »
Crows are very intelligent birds.  They are good at watching hens to discover the location of their nests and they will silently wait until the hen leaves the nest to feed.  They will help themselves to the eggs and will attract other predators to the nest by the smell of the eggs destroyed by the crow's feast. 
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
Train whistle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:32 PM »
I agree Happy I love sometimes the non animal sounds, a 18 wheeler jake braking, I guy stacking lumber and I have heard quiet a few gobble at a train whistle that runs thru a  local WMA, there is this guy I know that makes a killer hen box that was set up close to a cemetery while a funeral was going on and said there was a woman waling and a gobbler would gobble would  every time she screamed out..

Offline hotspur

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »
Lol ok, bow about a empty trailer being pulled down a bumpy road ,(true happening) but who carries one around

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
A fire whistle  (siren) will set gobblers off.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 10:54:40 PM »
Train whistle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

:OGani:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 01:30:03 AM »
Train whistle.
Lots of sounds set them off, and many sounds seem to spring-load birds to gobble.

Distant quad or lawn mower firing up, sonic boom of a jet, low-flying aircraft, rooster crowing, etc...  They will not necessarily make a bird gobble, but quickly after these sounds, you might be able to strike up a gobble (I usually use some sort of hen call or even a gobble).  Seems like "low-rumbling" sounds seem to wire up a bird to gobble more easily.

Hearing a distant gobble is also a sound that might make a closer bird more apt to gobble to a hen call...  Very often if I hear a distant gobble that I think about chasing, I will take a few minutes to wait and try and strike up a closer bird before hiking into eternity.

Oddly, with lots of crows around, birds do not seem to gobble to a crow call...  Sparsely populated crow populations, a bird seems more apt to gobble to one...  I hear tons of owls hooting in the morning, and birds largely seem to ignore these...  Seems like they are more apt to respond to an owl hoot, when owls are quiet.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline hotspur

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
The real thing does it better, that's all I'm saying. If your hunting and not hearing gobblers,if you hear crows making a fuss in the distance. It it worth your while to move closer . I guarantee sometimes you will  hear a gobbler fussing back at them ,

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
The real thing does it better, that's all I'm saying. If your hunting and not hearing gobblers,if you hear crows making a fuss in the distance. It it worth your while to move closer . I guarantee sometimes you will  hear a gobbler fussing back at them ,
Good point...  I rarely hear turkeys answer back at harassing crows, but if the woods are quiet, and I see crows making a commotion, I might get closer to that area in hopes they are harassing turkeys.

Twice last season, I was sitting in or near a bunch of turkeys (hens, toms, and jakes), and the crows did give them some attention.  Gobblers were quiet, but there was a hen that seemed to vocally respond to the crows.

I shoot near a pond quite often that holds geese...  I have definitely noticed that the geese become vocal to approaching turkeys (not necessarily the other way around)...  And turkeys will avoid going near those geese if possible.  Had a pair of geese cut off a turkey from coming in to me a couple years back.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »
I had a man who owns some adjoining property next to a place I hunt fire up a small block V8 one time and when he revved the engine a gobbler in the field below me gobbled at it.  Never knew the bird was there until then, didn't help me but I thought it was funny. 

rdjustham

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »
Watched a police car run down the road with siren blaring.  When the sound echoed up into the holler, both the gobblers in front of me sounded off.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »
I use a crow call a lot. Great way to strike a Tom late morning and an even better way to keep tabs on a distant bird while moving in on him.
I’ve actually killed two birds that were being mobbed by crows. The crows were harassing the gobblers just like they do an owl. Crazy.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »
what's THE loudest crow call?

i have the regular primos and it just doesnt seem very loud