OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hand loaders ?

Started by wchadw, January 27, 2020, 01:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

All

I do a couple of different hand loads of TSS. Most call for Lil Gun powder. I have noticed after shooting these loads that my barrel is super dirty. Not sure if it's unburnt powder? Or if this powder just burns dirty like some black powders?
Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

mine is pretty dirty after any turkey load, factory or handloads. Hevi-13 was the worst.

davisd9

Powder could be some of it, but those heavy plastic wads leave a lot of plastic behind as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Chad

I've noticed how dirty my barrel gets with Lil Gun also. Maybe the burn rate of Little Gun is a bit slow for the 20 gauge?? I havent shot anything but Lil Gun for 20 gauge turkey loads, so I cant compare it to anything else.

mtns2hunt

I beleave it is a little dirtier than than what I get from normal lead loads. However I've found it cleans up well and patterns are very good. I do not beleave in polishing a barrel but a bit more cleaning periodically may be indicated,
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Reloader

It depends a lot on the individual load.  I don't find LG to be more dirty than others in a similar burn range, but all of them will vary from load to load.  I also find it seems less powder fouling is left in a bore that's been polished and at a minimum snaked between shots.

BandedSpur

Any and all of the slow burners (Blue Dot, Lil Gun, 296, 2400, etc.) leave a lot of fouling in the barrel. That is the price of doing business with heavy loads. Those loads require heavy charges of slow burning powders to keep pressures in check. A lot of the residue you are seeing is the burning deterrents the powder is coated with to make them slow burning plus the fact that slow burners require heavier charges compared to lighter loads that can safely utilize faster burning powders. Those powders do not require the burning deterrents that the slower burning powders do. A 45 grain charge of Lil Gun is always going to produce a lot more residue than an 18 grain charge of Red Dot in a typical target load.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: BandedSpur on January 30, 2020, 08:31:30 AM
Any and all of the slow burners (Blue Dot, Lil Gun, 296, 2400, etc.) leave a lot of fouling in the barrel. That is the price of doing business with heavy loads. Those loads require heavy charges of slow burning powders to keep pressures in check. A lot of the residue you are seeing is the burning deterrents the powder is coated with to make them slow burning plus the fact that slow burners require heavier charges compared to lighter loads that can safely utilize faster burning powders. Those powders do not require the burning deterrents that the slower burning powders do. A 45 grain charge of Lil Gun is always going to produce a lot more residue than an 18 grain charge of Red Dot in a typical target load.

This seems to be a well thought out answer. Thanks for the info!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.