OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 choke question  (Read 2708 times)

Offline KYTURKEY

870 choke question
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:38:32 AM »
I have a Remington 870 SuperMag with a 28" barrel. This was my first turkey gun. I originally set this gun up shooting Remington's factory turkey choke, and the black Winchester 3" #5 shells. It shot unreal patterns, way too tight for 20 yards, but was lethal at 60 yards. When Winchester changed the loads of those shells, it ruined that gun. I have not been able to get confidence back in that gun, after trying many chocke/load combos. I have since bought another turkey gun. But, I want to get my 870 back to shooting the way it was, or close to it. Here is my question.

I shoot Federal #9's 3".  I have a buddy who suggests an IC .665, and he has one I can borrow to see how it shoots. I will shoot it, to see results, but, what should I expect out of this setup?

Thanks for any input,
Patrick

Offline jrmcclure

Re: 870 choke question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
A factory full choke from the 870 will out pattern the #5 lead with the #9 tss just due to pellet count. Try factory full for large forgiving pattern similar to the older lead loads before longbeards. If after tight patterns the Indian Creek should have no problem getting patterns of 275-375 In a 10" circle at 40. You werent seeing that with #5 lead. Tss is a different animal and not super picky on chokes, but id start with an open choke and work tighter till happy instead of the other way around and waste a bunch of tss shooting super tight chokes.

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: 870 choke question
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
The Federal TSS 9’s like a tighter choke.  Gets Carlson’s TSS .640.  I’m putting 400 + pellets in a 10” circle @ 40 yards from my 11-87 Special Purpose with this combination.