OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Questionable Strategy

Started by GobbleNut, January 25, 2020, 09:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

What they're probably doing is a tactic that Denny Gulvas talks about in one of his DVDs called "Pick A Spot Calling". The idea is to have the gobbler walk to a specific spot, within gun range obviously, for a clean shot. Can't say for sure that's what Dave and Chad (I can ask them) are doing but seems like the only obvious reason to me. I can't say that I have ever used it intentionally. I've always been in the frame of mind that I want them to come directly to me and as close as possible.

GobbleNut

Quote from: simpzenith on January 25, 2020, 03:01:00 PM
What they're probably doing is a tactic that Denny Gulvas talks about in one of his DVDs called "Pick A Spot Calling". . I can't say that I have ever used it intentionally. I've always been in the frame of mind that I want them to come directly to me and as close as possible.

Yeah, me too, Shane.  I just found it odd in that particular video that the spot they picked for the gobbler to come to was too far away from where they set up.  If the plan is to call them to a particular spot, then it seems to me it would make sense to set up in gun range of that spot!  ...Oh well, we all screw up on occasion,...some of us more than others... 

Ranger

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on January 25, 2020, 02:05:43 PM
When I watch Dave do it, I always thought he's "painting the picture" for the gobbler by moving around, scratching the occasional leaves, and throwing sounds in a way that's the most natural instead of calling in a fixed position with his back to a tree. I do understand how it's counter intuitive to give ground, but if the setup were right I could see it being advantageous for the turkey to be focused 15-20 yards away from you instead of the base of your tree.

Well said, exactly the point.  If you ever had one hung up finally break after you moved just 25yds to another tree it makes sense.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Nathan_Wiles

I've used that tactic to try and pull a bird across, or up side where they cant see my position until they are in range. Especially if I think I can easily be "backdoored". Just a subtle calling ploy to try and get that tom to approach along my fall back calling path.
Like most turkey ploys it works....sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

simpzenith

I recently spoke to Chad Claycomb and he said that he was indeed using Gulvas' tactic of "Pick-a-spot Calling". As a matter of fact, I see that he has a new video scheduled to post to his channel this coming Sunday. In the description it reads, "Watch as he attempts to steer a gobbler into his lap using the "pick-a-spot" calling technique."

CAPTJJ

There seems to be a lot of "questioning" of other's tactics on this forum. If you don't like it, don't do it?

Hobbes

I think you misinterpreted the question.  There is a difference between "Why the heck would you do that?" and  "Can you explain to me why you did that?". Maybe it's a suttle difference. The first says "Your an idiot!". The second says, ,"I don't understand that decision, can you explain it?"

It's just something to discuss.

CAPTJJ

I must have mistaken the "Duhhh!" in the first post, usually it describes something as ignorant or stupid.

davisd9

I am not understanding why it is questionable.  It works from time to time, if not they would not do it.  I usually work away from the bird then come back but I will have to give this a try.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jfowler82

I get what some are saying here . I think there are a lot of different situations and tactics that can work depending on the circumstance. I believe what some have described as more or less steering the gobbler the direction you want him to go . A lot of times your set up might not be perfect and you need the gobbler to go only one way . If that makes any sense lol

Crghss

I don't see the point of it, but to each his own.

When I hunted with my dad the shooter went to the bird and caller went away from it. Always staying in sight of each other.

But to your point if you call the bird to a "spot" the spot better be in range.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: Hobbes on January 25, 2020, 02:40:32 PM
I've tried to video hunts.  I got a lot of distant gobbling.   But I'd ditch the plan of filming and prioritize killing when it came time to make a critical move.  I'm glad these guys don't give up on the filming so easily.  There wouldn't be much to watch if they did.

Same here!

perrytrails

I've seen that tactic in Denny's videos also. I like to move around and relocate at times when possible. Hunting pressured birds, I think it adds realism to the whole set up