turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the fastest...

Started by Happy, January 28, 2020, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Just last year on my first day of my trip.  Maybe 6-8 minutes since I heard the gobble.   

I decided to take a mid morning coffee break so I quietly walked back towards my truck.  When I reached the field road that went past the barnyard, I gave a hen yelp (rule - one more call before calling it quits).  I didn't hear anything and took a couple of steps when I thought I heard a gobble.  I immediately stopped and called again and sure enough, I heard it again but louder.  The terrain is such that there are a number of small fields that follow the hilltops, with wooded ravines in between.  I thought it was coming from the next field over so I cut across a pasture, only to have it gobble again right on top of me,  I also saw movement through a ditch that had some scrub trees.  I dropped onto my belly right where I was, out in the middle of the pasture.  I was wearing a vest that carried 2 inflated Avian decoys.  I figured that between my movement and the fact that I stuck out like a sore thumb, I would have no chance.  All I could do was point my gun towards the turkey and hope he closed the distance.  Sure enough he came right to me.  One shot and done.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

eggshell

It took me a few screw ups but I finally learned if a bird cuts off a call really close, like 50-75 yards, not to dive for cover just raise the gun and stand still. You'll come way closer to killing him than diving for cover.

On another note I had one beam in through a time portal from the future once. Evidently sometime in the future turkeys evolve beyond humans and learn to time travel. He kicked my arse and stole my gun. So now it's my mission to exterminate all I can hoping most of all to kill all the smart ones. You know kinda like the terminator.

Ozark870Hunter

Quote from: eggshell on January 30, 2020, 05:09:31 PM

On another note I had one beam in through a time portal from the future once. Evidently sometime in the future turkeys evolve beyond humans and learn to time travel. He kicked my arse and stole my gun. So now it's my mission to exterminate all I can hoping most of all to kill all the smart ones. You know kinda like the terminator.
That's the best thing I've read all day!  :TooFunny:

Last year hunting Ozark ridge tops. Split up with my buddy after no gobbles at our first spot and drove a few ridges over. Hopped out of the truck, hit the call and one fired off 80 yards down the ridge. Text buddy that I had one gobble. I sent him the pic of the dead bird before he could text his response. About 4 minutes total.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/