turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 TSS for Turkey

Started by mtns2hunt, January 24, 2020, 07:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Has anyone shot a Turkey with #4 TSS? While TSS #9 pattern very well I am finding that #4 also patterns well enough to kill a Turkey. Plus it is a good Coyote. Looking for versatility.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

dirt road ninja

Never tried 4's, but I've often thought that the larger TSS would be better suited to body shooting them.

Gooserbat

I have to ask why.  It defeats everything that is advantageous about tss.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

YukonC

Here is the difference if 9 and 4. I just shot these a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 24, 2020, 07:44:50 PM
Never tried 4's, but I've often thought that the larger TSS would be better suited to body shooting them.
No offense dirt road but should we even bring up body shooting turkeys.  I get what you are saying but we have many that are just starting out and may get the impression that body shooting turkeys is an acceptable practice. 

3bailey3

body shot? so you mean no eating the breast!

Greg Massey

Have you ever bit down on TSS shot , you want do it but once ... I agree why 4 TSS ?...

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 24, 2020, 08:39:38 PM
I have to ask why.  It defeats everything that is advantageous about tss.

I am not sure it defeats every thing that is advantageous about TSS.

#4 TSS has good penetration and good range. Sure number 9 TSS will provide more pellets in the 10 circle if that is what you want. But #4 shot places more than enough pellets in the 10" to provide clean kills.

My reason for asking is that I am just as libel to call in or see a Coyote as a Turkey. I like the idea of being able to shoot either a Coyote or Turkey and #4 seems to fit that bill nicely.

I'm interested in what #4 will do to the Turkey. I suspect it will penetrate completely through the Turkey. My patterns are tight enough for head shots. I have no interest in body shots other than on Coyotes but if others do that it is their business. I have seen many videos with body shot Turkeys.

I am currently loading #9 and #4 TSS for Turkey and Coyote. I will generally use #9 for Turkey and the #4 for Coyote. I have used #4 and #5 LB for turkey in the past and it worked well. However should the opportunity present I would not hesitate to shoot a Turkey with #4 TSS.

BBcoach has been kind enough to post some patterns of Apex pred #4's. My hand loads are very close to his patterns. Did not know that Apex loaded #4's however I will continue to hand load since I am geared up and like hand loading. His patterns would certainly kill a coyote or Turkey

I am grateful for all the feedback but still have not heard from anyone that has used #4 TSS on Turkey's. I know someone out there has made such a shot. If no response I will try #4's on Turkey's this Spring and post my findings.

Finally while some may find my interest in using #4 TSS misguided on Turkeys remember it was not to long ago that many thought TSS was being used by a rouge element of Turkey hunters. Now look at it - its main stream. I am grateful to the experimenters and I will always try different things to improve my hunting.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gooserbat

I've killed yotes at 40+ with tss#9.  If in doubt shoot 8s.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gobspur

4s??? Why not use a rocket launcher?
Seriously, 9s will kill a yote dead.  And turkey hunting is the only time I won't shoot a coyote.
The pattern of 4s shown above is not dense enough for me to hunt turkey with.  Just IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

cutt down

9 TSS will smoke a yote! But if you're in doubt then try 7's or even 8's. I would guess that 7 TSS would be a great compromise for an all-purpose load for yotes or turkeys. Some overkill on the turkeys but it would still be a good load. I've had 9 tss pass completely through a turkey so 7's would be no issue on penetration.

Hobbes

That #4 pattern looks great for yotes but looks terrible for turkeys.  You don't have to have that #9  pattern but no way I'd be satisfied with the #4 pattern.  I was never ok with that back 20 years ago shooting lead.

Gobble!

No where near the pattern density I want for turkey hunting with #4s.

StruttinGobbler3

I agree with the above, not nearly enough pattern density with those #4s for turkey hunting. I know we strive to get turkeys to forty yards and under, but let's face it, we all sometimes misjudge yardage in the heat of the moment. I know I have. What if your guess is off by a few yards? You'd probably have less than 30 of those pellets inside the 10. General wisdom says you want minimum 100 pellets in the ten at the given range you want to shoot, to ensure a clean kill. Besides, a strong load of #9 tss in the face at 40 yards is going to stone a coyote. At the very least it will make him seriously question his life choices at that moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion