OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotgun for youth first time turkey hunting?

Started by ShootingABN!, December 14, 2019, 10:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

You've received good advice here. I would only add a couple of things (and I may have missed them in other's comments).

1. A .410 single shot has long been a child's first shotgun. I still have the one I got as a youngster, and it kicks more than the Mossberg 500 bantam 20 gauge that I have for my wife and kids. It's lightweight, and just plain kicks. Be aware of things like this.

2. Even with low brass loads, that Mossberg 500 20 ga kicks more than my 7 year old daughter (tall, strong, athletic frame) would appreciate. She hasn't been allowed to pull the trigger on it for that reason.

That being said, my oldest daughter (the 7 year old) is DYING to get to kill her own turkey this year! She's been shooting a 22LR for a couple of years (great advice from BOWGUY...start here), has shot a .223 AR several times, and is a consistent shooter. IF I decide to let her get behind the trigger for a turkey of her own this year, it will either be with a crossbow, or after having proven that she can handle a light bird load from the 20 ga.

Also, IF we go the shotgun route, it will only be AFTER I add weight to the stock, and add something like a Limbsaver recoil pad.

When she hunts with me, she wears Walker electronic earmuffs at all times, unless we are walking. They are around her neck and ready to be put on even then, though. I recommend something like that. Cutting down on sound absolutely makes a difference in perceived recoil.

ShootingABN!

Well as an update. WE got him the 510 super mini bantam in 410.

It came with 18.5" fixed modified barrel. I've sent the barrel to SumToy to get threaded and one of his chokes. Once we get it back we'll shoot it a bit. Going to order some Apex Ninja in Feb.

Got a Mossy Oak bottom land camo wrap, that's going on soon.

I'll keep it updated.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: ShootingABN! on January 22, 2020, 12:05:07 AM

It came with 18.5" fixed modified barrel. I've sent the barrel to SumToy to get threaded and one of his chokes. Once we get it back we'll shoot it a bit. Going to order some Apex Ninja in Feb.

I'll keep it updated.

I have no doubts that you will be please with William's work. I look forward to seeing what it's capable of doing!

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Big Jeremy on January 22, 2020, 11:04:25 AM
Quote from: ShootingABN! on January 22, 2020, 12:05:07 AM

I'll keep it updated.

I have no doubts that you will be please with William's work. I look forward to seeing what it's capable of doing!

Got the call today. They are finished and will return ship tomorrow. Can't wait... Just gotta wait on Apex new ninja loads to hit.