OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Give it a turn....or 1/4 turn  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Give it a turn....or 1/4 turn
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:25:53 PM »
The old timers know this.  I've done it literally hundreds of times.

Yesterday, the mailbox gave up a nice, older box call I bought on eBay.  It's a higher end, production call.  I unpacked it and gave it a few scrapes.  Nuh uh.  Went back and grabbed my "box call repair kit"...………..better known as a "Phillips head screwdriver". I eyeballed the paddle and it looked to be sitting just a whisker low on the screw side.  1/4 turn counter clockwise...….run the call.  Nope.  Another 1/4 turn...…...run the call.  Sorta.  But nope.  Another 1/4 turn counter clockwise.  There it was !!!  3/4 of a turn of a screwdriver took the screech owl out and filled it up with turkey.

Back when I was doing sports shows, conventions and expos for a call company, I spent a lot of time with the screwdriver out on my Leatherman.  When box calls are being made and tuned 1000 or 5000 at a time, they won't always get that last little tweek that turns "oh, OK" into "oh, WOW !!". 

I ALWAY start by going counter clockwise.  Better to over-loosen right from the get-go than over-tighten.  It IS possible to split an end block if you go all gorilla tightening.  1/4 turn at a time, whichever way you're going...….keeps you from over-tightening AND keeps you from going PAST the sweet spot.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:02:19 PM by Yoder409 »
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Give it a turn....or 1/4 turn
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »
Yep, good advice right there - loose first then go from there. Sometimes the difference between awful and awesome can be as little as 1/8th turn. Over time the box call wood will change, and a fine tune is needed.

If you are adjusting a production call, and not concerned about value, not a bad idea to mark where you start with a dot using a sharpie. A dot on the screw and the paddle so you know how to get back to where you started.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 01:25:17 PM »
Sometimes the difference between awful and awesome can be as little as 1/8th turn.

True story.

When you're finally dancing right around the sweet spot, it can take a very little bit of a turn to find it...……...or go right past it.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline gdc23

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »
Great idea about counter clockwise first.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
I’ve got my box call marked, get it out every spring and see how it sounds.

Usually a little turn one way or the other tunes it right up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
Great post and thread....

Just tuned a call that sounds better already with this knowledge....  I am embarrassed to say, that this type of tuning never occurred to me before.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 01:34:17 AM »
As a call builder I can say the op is spot on.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »
I have always heard never to over tighten one ..

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:36:08 PM »
You heard correctly.

A wood screw is, essentially, a coarse-threaded wedge.  Wedges do what to wood ??  Yep.  Don't wanna split your end block.
PA elitist since 1979