OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Affinity 20 gauge  (Read 7944 times)

Offline zeke632

Re: Affinity 20 gauge
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »
I have been using a Browning Maxus 12 gauge for turkey hunting for years. It has performed flawlessly and I love it.  HOWEVER, I HAD TO HAVE A PACEMAKER INSTALLED 3 DAYS BEFORE SEASON IN 2019! I am afraid the recoil would be too much with the Pacemaker.

I bought a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge for this year’s hunt and hope the recoil is minimum. I plan to use TSS ammo. 

Any comments on minimizing recoil? Thx!
Possibly a Limbsaver recoil pad & a ported  tube to dampen the kick. Unless you shoot left handed it shouldn’t be an issue.  My wife has a defibrillator/pacemaker and shoots an old 12ga Ithaca 37 that I won’t shoot because it hurts !   I went from a Maxus to a 20ga Affinity last year and love it. Still love the Browning, but unless I run out of 20ga Apex TSS it will stay at home.

Offline Dermott

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
Thx for the reply, Zeke.  I do shoot off my left shoulder as blind in right eye. I am going to put on a recoil pad but if still too much recoil I will just use my Crossbow — have taken five with it but there is absolutely no chance for a follow up shot! ????

Offline Gmed

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
I run a .570 sumtoy. It’s not the tightest at 40yards but a Lethal pattern from 0-50. Especially between 15-30 where 90% of my shots are. The only issue I’ve had so far was trying to be quiet and easing the slide close instead of letting it shut on its on the gun won’t fire because the slide is not locked into place (for lack of a better term) and that nearly cost me a 3 year old last year. So you don’t have to let it slam shut from all the way open but definitely try about halfway so it can engage the way it is designed to.
What round are you shooting? I want to try a .570 Sumtoy and am just curious....is yours a 26” barrel?

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
In my 26” barrel, I use a .582 Undertaker with 1 5/8 oz handloads 9’s

For the recoil question, Foxtrot Ammo has a 1 3/8 oz load that is great. My daughter shoots a similar load. She’s 10 and handles it with no problem.

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 12:49:29 AM »
Dermott, try a gas operated semi auto. It will have less recoil than the inertia driven gun. My Beretta is much easier on the shoulder than my Benelli. Could also use a 28ga.

Offline Remington700

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
I purchased 2 Affinities at the end of season last year. One was flawless the second went back to Benelli twice. It would not cycle. Ended up being a weak spring. Now it works like a champ. Just ordered me a new tube and Apex TSS.

Offline opie91

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 10:20:41 AM »
I shoot a 570 Sumtoy in my Affinity. Good hunting pattern with it.

Offline macobb

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 10:26:36 AM »
I run a .570 sumtoy. It’s not the tightest at 40yards but a Lethal pattern from 0-50. Especially between 15-30 where 90% of my shots are. The only issue I’ve had so far was trying to be quiet and easing the slide close instead of letting it shut on its on the gun won’t fire because the slide is not locked into place (for lack of a better term) and that nearly cost me a 3 year old last year. So you don’t have to let it slam shut from all the way open but definitely try about halfway so it can engage the way it is designed to.
What round are you shooting? I want to try a .570 Sumtoy and am just curious....is yours a 26” barrel?

I ended up getting rid of my Franchi but i was shooting 2 3/4 handloaded #9s I think 1.5oz dont remember for certain but it was a deadly gun until the "click" tried to cost me a bird at 20 yards. after that she had to go.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 07:35:07 PM »
I use a HS strut ported .582 in my Benelli Montefeltro 20, and it is a beast. I hand load #9 tss, and I think my loads like a little more open choke. It shoots a great hunting pattern. I also like the Carlsons .575..

Online bwhana

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 08:39:04 PM »
I tried to make the "click* happen on my Affinity while patterning and it has run flawlessly and has not done it, no matter what I try. I only had it happen 1x on my Stoeger 3020, and that was only when I pulled back the bolt slightly to see if there was one in the chamber and then lightly pushed it back forward.